View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Engine shut down - no warning!

Originally Posted by Chaiks1
Hi Guys....Chrysler techs have had my car for entire week and no answer. They can't reproduce the no start condition. They claim not the relay control module, but can't pinpoint problem. Should I consider thaking to a Mercedes tech?
A connection on the relay control board in the "Engine Control Relay's" path has come open. This leaves part of the PTCM without power and results in two things:

1) The engine cant run, because the PTCM isn't fully powered.
2) The starter cant engage, because the PTCM is not providing an enable to the pulse module.

Either replace or repair the RCM. The "Chrysler techs" cant find this because they are not experienced with the Mercedes line, which is KNOWN for this problem AND because this involves REAL electronic troubleshooting - and garage "technicians" aren't trained in that. You took a Mercedes to a Chrysler dealer, bad move.

Resolder the RCM yourself OR find an independent shop KNOWN for their Mercedes experience and pay them ANYTHING they want to get your car going. I suspect they will want to replace the RCM and this will cost you around $250 plus labor of $75 to $150.

Or just order the part from the sources the gentlemen here have told you about and change it yourself. IT really IS easy - like plugging in a bunch of Christmas lights or setting up a home sound system.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.