Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
KDW4Him
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by crymar
No, I didn't remove the pin. I installed a new ignition lock unit. From what I've read on this thread, it seems that it's the pin that causes all the problems. I wanted to see if someone cold explain exactly how the pin functions and how it eventually causes the key to stick. The original ignition lock unit in my 2004 coupe lasted more than 10 years before it became a little sticky, but not to the point where I couldn't drive the car. It was just getting annoying, so this was a preemptive repair. If this new one lasts ten more I'll be happy. The fact the the pin pops out at the steering column side of the clamp when installed indicates that it's also used as a positioning mechanism. In any case, I wanted to know more about this mechanism.
I don't think there has been a definite explanation as to what parts do what and why. We are not talking about removing the "pin" that "pops out." We are talking about removing the internal pin and spring. Do you have your old assembly? Did you remove the cover plate and look inside?

I am not that big a gambler, I removed mine so I don't go through the frustration of being stranded or having to fix it in some parking lot. It would be nice to get a report from someone why buys the new assembly to know if MB removed the suspect parts or not and the part number without the suspect parts.