View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 PM
ingsoc39
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '07 Coupe, 16.5k...saw smoke in engine

Thanks guy for the many and quick replies, I do appreciate it. What I smelled was definitely electrical, I dont think its the smell of oil hitting a hot surface from the valve cover....the smell is nothing like burning oil, the smell is electrical, the same smell you notice when ie you have a vacuum cleaner thats belt has slipped the electric motor and the electric motor spins at really high speed and starts to heat up, its a pretty distinct smell. Having owned many Alfa Romeos and worked on them for years (they are a handfull and would not want another) and known to be oil burners, its not burning oil. So I thought it could be the alternator. I dropped it off at the dealer as its still under the lifetime warranty, they will look at it, I have not authorized any work yet other than the inspection. Luckily about 10 miles from me there is a wonderful independent Mercedes shop that does excellent work. They are super friendly work only on mercedes and have no issue working on my car. Whatever the problem is I will most likely have them do the work, but in order to preserve the warranty and car history/documentation, I felt it wise at least at first to take it to the dealer so they are aware of the problem, who knows, maybe its something covered and simple..if not....off to the independent guy it goes, but I still think with 16.5k miles on it. the dealer should cover it, at least attempt to diagnose it, then I can decide who will perform the work, makes sense? I just want to keep my car happy and humming along..I still think its the nicest looking car I've ever owned, and love it.

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-16-2015 at 09:06 PM.