All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

'07 Coupe, 16.5k ... saw smoke in engine

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: '07 Coupe, 16.5k ... saw smoke in engine

Originally Posted by Ky06coupe
I have had this problem too, on my '06. I assumed (from the greasy lower valve cover) that it was an oil leak from the upper breather cover. Research on this forum led me to that conclusion. It doesn't happen constantly, seems like only after getting on it hard. Been like that for about a year, I'm planning on getting the seals replaced soon, and will report back if that's what the issue was. I also suspect there could be steam leaking from a small crack in the seam of the coolant overflow tank. Hopefully it's not your alternator dying.
If it turns out to be the overflow tank issue that is good news as it is easily fixed. Today I just finished replacing my coolant overflow tank and I am not at all mechanical. It was pretty easy but I wanted to mention that if your springs holding the headlight bulbs are weak the time to change them or even replace the headlight bulbs is when the overflow tank has been removed from the car. Also the entire sender under the tank rotates to be removed. You do not have to un-clip the wire as instructed by the video on this site.

The overflow tank is quite strong but my old tank became weak with age and let go suddenly.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:37 PM
reb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ingsoc39
Hello, fired up my well maintained babied crossfire today, drove 1/4 mile to the gas station, and noticed some smoke (smelled like a burned out vaccum clean ) when I opened the hood, some light smoke was coming out of the passenger side of the engine, to the right of the fuse box, and left of the heat shield, could not see anything, opened the fuse box, nothing on fire/smoking/smell...so I dropped it off at the dealer for a quick look over, eletrical issues are a nightmare, no smoke came into the car itself....is there anything located in this are that might be a culprit? Obviously the fuse box is there, but the smoke was not coming from there..any thoughts? Thanks, care is 07 with 16.5k miles California car.
probably only oil on your exhaust manifold.check your valve covers for seepage.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by reb
probably only oil on your exhaust manifold.check your valve covers for seepage.
After four years, he better have it already fixed. (Always check the date of the post before you reply.)

Old 10-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What did I do today (yesterday)

I went to get my updated registration which required an inspection. While in inspection:

1) Check engine light came on when restarted in the inspection bay (it was not on prior)
2) Driver side window decided not to work
3) the hood lift failed
4) Failed inspection

Came home and took a reading - got Crankshaft and Camshaft errors.
Ordered parts, will come in 2 days,
Left key in the ignition - seeing rear spoiler in the up position this morning = "you idiot" (dead battery).

Shakes head, what a day.

Nothing too tragic, but annoying. I have a trip coming up on Saturday, I hope to have all installed and working by then.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default what did you do to your Crossfire Today

Buffed our foggy headlights with great success , I decided to change the cabin filter 😱. As I removed it lots of leaves ,pine needles and just dirt .....it was a Mercedes cabin filter it looked original ... once replaced. Interior of car smelled pretty damn good

Original cabin filter

Last edited by richb55; 11-25-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Wrong thread Should be in what did you do to your crossfire today