Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by Michael M

I'm in a very rural area, found a rat in the garage and feces in floorboards and trunk, so suspected damage to wiring. None found so far.
No noise from starter.
Thermometer now reads -36 degrees. Don't know how that would relate.
Resoldered connections on RCM per forum go-by. No change. This could still be the issue.
New battery, just to be sure. No problems with previous battery or charging issues.

I measure 12v at starter, but nothing at starter solenoid. I have 12v through clutch safety switch to pulse module pin B, but no voltage at pin F with key and start position.

Substituted a used pulse module with no change.

If I jumper the solenoid post to starter motor 12v, it will engage. That was unintentional.
1) So you had rat feces in the floor and trunk and the outside temperature readout is showing (what amounts to) a disconnected probe - if the temperature reading worked when you parked the car, then added to what I am reading here - you have damage to the wiring harness of the car. UNLESS the probe came unplugged when you were crawling around under the front of the car. If you haven't been crawling under the front of the car, I suggest you do so NOW and see if that plug is unplugged. If it is not unplugged, then the wiring has probably been chewed.

Keep in mind that when you find the chewed wires to the probe, there may be more damage elsewhere if the damn thing was in the trunk! Hopefully, it chewed the probe wires and what ever wires are not allowing the pulse module to to it's job in the same place in the car.

2) If, by some wonderful miracle, a rat has not chewed the hell out of the wiring in the car (and we can pretty much assume so, but let's entertain the unlikely event that you don't have chewed wiring) - then this goes back to the pulse module. I am not saying the pulse module is bad, I'm saying that the pulse module is not sending pull-in current to the solenoid and we must determine why this is.

I cant stand the awful wiring diagrams that we are stuck with, but here is how I understand the pulse module:

12 volt battery power is applied on A1
Ground is A5
Switched 12 volt power is applied on B2
The "Start" signal from the ignition switch passes thru the clutch switch (if a manual) then on to B1

If you have all of the above, then PROVIDED the PTCM enables the Pulse Module, the starter engages, because 12 volts shows up on F1.

When the engine reaches 450 rpm, the pulse module is disabled by the PTCM. (This is why you can turn the key to "START" with the motor running and the starter does not engage).

The way I read the book, the "enable" is a ground that the PTCM puts on A2 and the "disable" is the removal of a ground by the PTCM on A2. I would like to prove this by making measurements on my car - but my car is in a storage facility 4 miles from home. And as long as it is raining, I'm not getting the car out! I have some time off coming, if the weather clears on Wednesday or Thursday, I will run out there and see what I find.

But ya got chewed wiring, I am just SURE of it. I HOPE I am wrong.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-17-2015 at 11:46 PM.