View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM
onehundred80
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: 722.6 Transmission

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hi Bill, To answer your questions:

1) how much fluid is needed when doing this and where should this be purchased.
The correct transmission fluid is Mopar p/n 05127382AA (or maybe now updated to p/n 05127382AB). The amount you'll need to put back in depends on how much fluid comes out of the transmission during your procedure. There is a lot fluid that will remain in the torque converter even after you drop the pan when changing out the filter and the conductor plate. It does seem that your guy, Ted, knows what he is doing so he will know how much fluid to replace. Usually about 4 quarts if you just drop the pan.

2) where should this be purchased, and what brand.
Let Ted determine the correct type of replacement fluid and let him determine the brand. I say this because personally I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in all of my vehicles with the NAG1 transmission. I have three Crossfires and five Chrysler SRT8s that all have the same NAG1 transmission. AMSOIL ATF - has an expected fluid life of three times manufactures! I have a transmission flush machine that flushes and changes out all the transmission fluid.

Someone from the forum will likely jump in here with their advice . . .
Rudy said that these transmissions run best when the fluid recommended by Mercedes is used. I would not use any other fluid because it said to be the best by its manufacturer or because it is cheaper or whatever. If you want to save a buck here or there get a beater.
I always recommend that if you buy a car from a forum member you should read his or her old posts and see if you agree with any maintenance that is written about.