Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

722.6 Transmission

Old 08-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 722.6 Transmission

Good evening Folks,
Hope this is in the right place. Run down of what I have, then the questions. I have a 2004 N/A Crossfire coupe, 36,500 miles Automatic transmission. Purchased this car in April this year. Not knowing much about them I felt it was running, handling fine. Then the strange things started to happen. Not all the time, pull up to a light, light changes and the car seems to have no power. Eventually it seemed to straighten out. The first time this happened I put it into reverse and it seemed to have no power. When I stopped the car, put it into forward it slammed in, put it into reverse, it slammed in. Went about my business came out started the car, back to normal. I read what I could find here on the forums and ended up taking it to a TRUSTED transmission shop. The owner appeared to know quite a bit about this 722.6 transmission and suggested replacing the connector outside the transmission, not sure what it is called. It was saturated. The o rings appeared to be leaking by. This was changed and the contacts cleaned and dried. Out the door. Now I notice I can actually lightly feel the transmission shift, up, down. NICE. I took a short trip from home today, about 30 miles. The car seemed fine, although I felt it should have shifted into another gear. Engine seemed to be a little higher speed than I would have expected. I do have a Magnaflow Exhaust on the car which makes it more noticeable. At 60-65 MPH the RPM's were between 25-2700. Step on the gas and the car would scoot. 65-70 MPH I was about 3000 RPM's. I have had 2 occasions of no power when stopping and starting up. I was able to shut the car off and restart and then it was back to normal. OH, NO CODES, no CEL and No pending codes this time. In the beginning I did have a P0715 pending code. Any and all help will be appreciated. At this time my thought is to go talk with Ted at the Transmission shop and see what he thinks. Maybe I have to replace the connector plate. Like I said earlier, this car only has 36K + miles on it.
Bill T.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: 722.6 Transmission

Hello, Your transmission fluid was leaking from the deteriorated o-rings on the transmission electrical connector. Your transmission was going into "limp mode" because the fluid level was low. Your transmission guy was correct to replace the transmission electrical connector. That is a common issue with the NAG1 transmissions and they will all start leaking eventually. I don't know what you paid but FYI the transmission electrical connector is a $15.00 part and it takes less than 30 minutes to R & R. This is what he replaced . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post832085

FYI - Here's an informational video about replacing the transmission electrical connector . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post832103

Here's a link to explain more transmission repair issues including replacement of the conductor plate (not connector plate)

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post769483

The P0715 code does indicate a faulty speed sensor in the transmission conductor plate. First however, these transmissions are very sensitive to having the correct fluid level. I suspect your continuing issues could simply be due to improper fluid level. Take it back to your guy have him make SURE the fluid level is correct. If it is at the correct level and if you continue to have issues, then you should check again for trouble codes and if you get the P0715 code proceed to get the conductor plate replaced.

Here is a good place to buy the parts . . . NOTE: Use only genuine Mercedes brand parts . . . no aftermarket junk . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Transmission-Conductor-Plate-Connector-Filter-Gasket-722-6-ALL-OE/400746773893?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33098%26meid%3D5c0c6d04aad9456fb5ae8e4d3401de2b%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D251359627584
Please come back here and let us know how you resolved your transmission issues . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-27-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hello, Your transmission fluid was leaking from the deteriorated o-rings on the transmission electrical connector. Your transmission was going into "limp mode" because the fluid level was low. Your transmission guy was correct to replace the transmission electrical connector. That is a common issue with the NAG1 transmissions and they will all start leaking eventually. I don't know what you paid but FYI the transmission electrical connector is a $15.00 part and it takes less than 30 minutes to R & R. This is what he replaced . . .

FYI - Here's an informational video about replacing the transmission electrical connector . . .

Here's a link to explain more transmission repair issues including replacement of the conductor plate (not connector plate)

The P0715 code does indicate faulty sensor in the conductor plate. First however, these transmissions are very sensitive to having the correct fluid level. I suspect your continuing issues could simply be due to improper fluid level. Take it back to your guy have him make SURE the fluid level is correct. If it is at the correct level and if you continue to have issues, then you should proceed to get the conductor plate replaced.

Here is a good place to buy the parts . . .

Mercedes Transmission Conductor Plate Connector Filter Gasket 722 6 All OE | eBay

Please come back here and let us know how you resolved your transmission issues . . .
I will let you know what transpires Sir. I am a older person (77) so will not be getting under the car. Also will not be rushing into it. This is a fun car for me, (toy). I will in the next few days go back and see Ted and discuss it with him. He is quite knowledgable on these 722.6 transmissions, and I do trust him. He helped me with my last transmission problem, a 1987 Mustang Auto. Works fine and my son now is enjoying the car in NH. (top down) By the way, Ted charged me $19.00 for the part, $75. labor and 2 quarts of fluid. I feel this was fair here in Southern MA.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

The P0715 code does indicate a faulty speed sensor in the transmission conductor plate. First however, these transmissions are very sensitive to having the correct fluid level. I suspect your continuing issues could simply be due to improper fluid level. Take it back to your guy have him make SURE the fluid level is correct. If it is at the correct level and if you continue to have issues, then you should check again for trouble codes and if you get the P0715 code proceed to get the conductor plate replaced.

Here is a good place to buy the parts . . . NOTE: Use only genuine Mercedes brand parts . . . no aftermarket junk . . .

Mercedes Transmission Conductor Plate Connector Filter Gasket 722 6 All OE | eBay

Boy I am losing it. I know I started a answer to you Red Dog but have lost it. I did in fact order the conductor plate from the site you gave me. We plan to install it next week. QUESTION, how much fluid is needed when doing this and where should this be purchased, and what brand. The car is better, but not perfect. We are going to change the plate to hopefully get it to PERFECT. At this point there are no codes set or pending. I can feel the car shift through all 5 speeds, down shifting etc. BUT, I did have a couple of limp home modes that reset by shutting off the engine and restarting. Right now, car seems GREAT. Thanks for your help, Bill T.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bill T.
Boy I am losing it. I know I started a answer to you Red Dog but have lost it. I did in fact order the conductor plate from the site you gave me. We plan to install it next week. QUESTION, how much fluid is needed when doing this and where should this be purchased, and what brand. The car is better, but not perfect. We are going to change the plate to hopefully get it to PERFECT. At this point there are no codes set or pending. I can feel the car shift through all 5 speeds, down shifting etc. BUT, I did have a couple of limp home modes that reset by shutting off the engine and restarting. Right now, car seems GREAT. Thanks for your help, Bill T.
Hi Bill, To answer your questions:

1) how much fluid is needed when doing this and where should this be purchased.
The correct transmission fluid is Mopar p/n 05127382AB. The amount you'll need to put back in depends on how much fluid comes out of the transmission during your procedure. There is a lot fluid that will remain in the torque converter even after you drop the pan when changing out the filter and the conductor plate. It does seem that your guy, Ted, knows what he is doing so he will know how much fluid to replace. Usually about 4 quarts if you just drop the pan and 8.5 quarts if you can replace what's in the torque converter.

2) where should this be purchased, and what brand.
Let Ted determine the correct type of replacement fluid and let him determine the brand. I say this because personally I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in all of my vehicles with the NAG1 transmission. I have three Crossfires and five Chrysler SRT8s that all have the same NAG1 transmission. AMSOIL ATF - has an expected fluid life of three times manufactures! I have a transmission flush machine that flushes and changes out all the transmission fluid.

Someone from the forum will likely jump in here with their advice . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-29-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

The correct transmission fluid is Mopar p/n 05127382AA (or maybe now updated to p/n 05127382AB). The amount you'll need to put back in depends on how much fluid comes out of the transmission during your procedure. There is a lot fluid that will remain in the torque converter even after you drop the pan when changing out the filter and the conductor plate. It does seem that your guy, Ted, knows what he is doing so he will know how much fluid to replace. Usually about 4 quarts if you just drop the pan.

Let Ted determine the correct type of replacement fluid and let him determine the brand. I say this because personally I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in all of my vehicles with the NAG1 transmission. I have three Crossfires and five Chrysler SRT8s that all have the same NAG1 transmission. AMSOIL ATF - has an expected fluid life of three times manufactures! I have a transmission flush machine that flushes and changes out all the transmission fluid.

Rudy said that these transmissions run best when the fluid recommended by Mercedes is used. I would not use any other fluid because it said to be the best by its manufacturer or because it is cheaper or whatever. If you want to save a buck here or there get a beater.
I always recommend that if you buy a car from a forum member you should read his or her old posts and see if you agree with any maintenance that is written about.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Forum Regular

The correct transmission fluid is Mopar p/n 05127382AB. The amount you'll need to put back in depends on how much fluid comes out of the transmission during your procedure. There is a lot fluid that will remain in the torque converter even after you drop the pan when changing out the filter and the conductor plate. It does seem that your guy, Ted, knows what he is doing so he will know how much fluid to replace. Usually about 4 quarts if you just drop the pan and 8.5 quarts if you can replace what's in the torque converter.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, appreciated. I think I will go with the Mopar if I can find it. I am confident that the fluid has never been changed. (36K + miles) I will talk with Ted Monday and discuss it with him. Thanks again, Bill T.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Rudy said that these transmissions run best when the fluid recommended by Mercedes is used. I would not use any other fluid because it said to be the best by its manufacturer or because it is cheaper or whatever. If you want to save a buck here or there get a beater.
I always recommend that if you buy a car from a forum member you should read his or her old posts and see if you agree with any maintenance that is written about.
Thank you for your input. I am going to use the Mopar if I can get it. Other than that I think I will work with my transmission guy on what to do. Thanks again, Bill T.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All! So I've been searching the forum due to the p0715 code i have on my 04 crossfire. I've checked for oil leak and there are non so I'm gonna assume that its the speed sensor. I went to the dealership to price the speed sensor but found out that the conductor plate isn't sold separately but as the complete valve body ($1300) I've seen the eBay one posted on here but wanted to make sure this will work for the crossfire. Thank You in advance

Old 08-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary632
Hi All! So I've been searching the forum due to the p0715 code i have on my 04 crossfire. I've checked for oil leak and there are non so I'm gonna assume that its the speed sensor. I went to the dealership to price the speed sensor but found out that the conductor plate isn't sold separately but as the complete valve body ($1300) I've seen the eBay one posted on here but wanted to make sure this will work for the crossfire. Thank You in advance
Pretty much the only time you should go to the Stealership is if you have a friend working there and you want to say hello.

Yes, the one I suggested on E-Bay will work for your 2004 Crossfire.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

Pretty much the only time you should go to the Stealership is if you have a friend working there and you want to say hello.

Yes, the one I suggested on E-Bay will work for your 2004 Crossfire.
Hey Red Dog,
Quick up-date: Had the car out yesterday, warmed it up good, went to see Ted and he checked the fluid level. Right in the 80 degree mark. When out tooling around, the car ran Flawless. BUT, when the conductor plate arrives we are going to change it out. It will make me feel better. Thanks again for your help. After the change is made I will get back to you with the results etc. Bill T.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the throttle position reset? Plenty of threads/posts here, sorry I could not supply a link, it's late for me. Good luck

Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill T.
Hey Red Dog,
Quick up-date: Had the car out yesterday, warmed it up good, went to see Ted and he checked the fluid level. Right in the 80 degree mark. When out tooling around, the car ran Flawless. BUT, when the conductor plate arrives we are going to change it out. It will make me feel better. Thanks again for your help. After the change is made I will get back to you with the results etc. Bill T.
I had the same basic transmission in a 300 go funny one minute and then on a restart it seemed cured, finally it went permanently into limp mode and I had to have the solenoid plate repaired.
I said solenoid plate, it was actually a solenoid.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-06-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I had the same basic transmission in a 300 go funny one minute and then on a restart it seemed cured, finally it went permanently into limp mode and I had to have the solenoid plate repaired.
You mean the conductor plate? That has the solenoids in it. Under the valve body.
I am having that changed this week sometime. The parts came in the mail today.
Bill T.

Last edited by Billto; 08-31-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added some words
Old 09-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular

Good evening Red Dog,
It is September 6, 2015 and this is an up-date on the problem I had with my 04 N/A coupe. I had the connector replaced at a trusted shop. I did order and received the Conductor Plate (the Whole Kit) that you suggested. I have it in hand BUT, the car is now running FINE, after a couple of hiccups. We are going to wait and see. If it starts to act up I will take it in and get the plate changed out. The last couple of outings the car ran great. Aprox 200 miles. Time will tell. Thanks again for your help,
Bill T.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing back an old thread. I am now experiencing this very same issue as BillTo. Low mileage SRT6. Sort of comes and goes, mostly when it's host outside. Getting occasional P0715 pending codes. Let it cool off and it's just fine the next day or after a couple of hours. Doesn't appear to be leaking. Will check the fluid level when time permits. Everything around the area looks dry unless it's leaking internally and lowering fluid pressure under load/heat conditions. Wondering if BillTo finally did the conductor plate and to what result.

Would like to just "do it once" and be done with it after getting the right parts ahead of time. Also a very low miles <40K car.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=cudaman;873429]Bringing back an old thread. I am now experiencing this very same issue as BillTo. Low mileage SRT6. Sort of comes and goes, mostly when it's host outside. Getting occasional P0715 pending codes. Let it cool off and it's just fine the next day or after a couple of hours. Doesn't appear to be leaking. Will check the fluid level when time permits. Everything around the area looks dry unless it's leaking internally and lowering fluid pressure under load/heat conditions. Wondering if BillTo finally did the conductor plate and to what result.

Would like to just "do it once" and be done with it after getting the right parts ahead of time. Also a very low miles