Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Experiencing "fall fever", what mods to do?

Old 09-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Experiencing "fall fever", what mods to do?

I've been waiting for the headers Rob touted a while back. Then I waited some more. Hopefully my lean condition after 5500rpm will be solved with the NEW 550cc injectors I have ordered along with the tune Jerry has planned. Without tearing the motor apart what mods could/should I consider while I am waiting for the headers? Anyone interested in rob making some lower T-stats for sale? Here in SW Florida the motor runs hot. I am quite sure it is running between 190* and 200*. I would prefer it run around 180* Max, maybe even 172*. I know the motor was designed to run at a certain temp to burn off the contaminants that accumulate in the oil and transmission. However running hot is just as bad and hurts performance. I suppose the fan could be tuned to run at the high setting at all times it runs, the noise would not bother me as I cannot hear very well.
I have very few mods. Robs DCAI and his 178mm crank pulley along with the PSK. Also a 70mm SC pulley. I think that is it. This is not a track car. Don't need traction control. One thing I am looking at are the chrome wheels on ebay, yes I have an SLK32 AMG. I was referring to performance mods. If I though the headers would really offer a decent gain I would get the rest of the system as I have planned it. Constructive suggestions are welcome. Mark
OH, I like the idea of Woodies 172* T-stat but it seems involved. If it were easy he would be offering them for sale. That is what we need, ideas brought to fruition and sold to the general public.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Experiencing "fall fever", what mods to do?

185 pulley,185 psk, new serpentine belt, konis yellow dampers, ebiach springs, 550 injectors, 55 fuel pump, updated bosch ic pump, 5th custom Jerry tune, and water meth. All should be in by December 1

Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think maybe the SL55 fuel pump 7.00228.51.0 is the way to go....although NW's also did the Walbro with the Waldig Mani/FPR setup last time I looked.

There is a new 7.00228.51.0 in Australia for sale which you may find a bit cheaper due to the current exchange rate of only 1.42AUD to the USD....I think it works out at about USD$250...I was looking at it just yesterday...I'd change that and run it before you put in your 550's....
Pierburg Fuel Performance Pump 360L H Better Than 044 | eBay
PS - I've never been able to find a pump curve for the stock pump...but I have one for the 7.00228.51.0

also re the lean issues...see this.....current thread over at the SLK230 BBS...which reportedly uses the same fuel pump as the SLK32/SRT6... - Subby's up in the 12+psi range though v stock which is 6.5-7...
air fuel ratios, thinking of going 5 bar FPR - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Inference from one of the posts within that is that its in the map rather than the delivery...but I cant see that still hanging around after a retune.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zoodust, when is your target date for 400/400 to the wheels?

I just got a set of NEW Bosch 550cc injectors, had to give up with the used ones off ebay. Now to find help doing the install or a qualified shop. The shop that did the PSK added a pulley even though I had beautiful color pics and numbers to make the job easier but the mechanic must have missed the color by number and stay within the lines. Tore up the belt before my 1.5 mile drive home. He also banged the drivers door against the concrete brick wall so many times, once in my presence, the shop owner is paying for body work and a new belt was installed, pulley removed.
Australia, I have the SL55 pump and the adjustable regulator. If I adjust for a decent 11.5-11.9AFR for power it goes lean around 5300rpm in 3rd gear. I now have it adjusted so I can go to redline almost at WOT and not be lean with rich AFR's of 10.9-11.2. My motor always seemed to run higher boost than some, 19psi with the 65mm SC pulley and 20.6 with the one datalog I have done with the 178/70, sure 21+ will be achieved. Looking forward to the new injectors and decent AFR's with the corresponding power.
Looking forward to Rob's headers to be tested on a couple of cars with the usual mods and not whatever Squirrel Crusher has that disqualifies his from testing but we do owe his vehicle for the fitment of the headers. I have my exhaust system planned. The guys with dumps gain little from them, under a tenth which could be from many factors. This says that those cars had very good exhaust systems. I may be wrong but believe the dumps offered decent gains to those with stock systems besides the downpipes/dumps. So power is to be gained with a good system! I'm going with a Magnaflow TRU X placed where the rear cats are, no resonator and a Borla Pro XS out back(NO DRONE WITH A BORLA). Hookers are the other mufflers that are not supposed to drone but I have always used Borla's as have my friends. Right now Summit is selling the TRU X at $114. like everyone else(a factor of the internet) but they offer free delivery and a $20. card for the next purchase meaning that Borla will be just $69.! Wish there was a shop in Punta Gorda that worked on Mercedes so I will have to go to Sarasota, maybe get thee exhaust done at the same time, should be a blast. Plugs and wires are done, oil is changed. The intakes do not seem to offer the power that has been claimed by the guys using them. 25HP for the tweaked is more like 8-9hp, not worth the cost for me.
OH, what is that red button for, in case the dentist runs out!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like GG got rid of the V8....11.9 aint bad for a stock Bavarian....;>)