View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 05:19 PM
janaiy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Check engine light came up today

Originally Posted by Infinity
If you have a light, go by one of the many national chains like autozone ect. 8and have them read the codes for free. That should give you a basic understanding of where to look. Keep in mind they use fairly basic scan tools and are not diagnostic experts by any means. At least from that you will have an idea.

I have dealt with many dealers and shops that have little care for this car. It's not a Chrysler once you get beyond the sheet metal and badges and Mercedes dealers have been locked out of the ECU with Chrysler's software access protocol. Some Mercedes dealers might want to help and if you find one be thankful.

The good part is that parts are widely available and if you look in the right spots you can avoid paying dealer price (which by the way is really high now that Daimler no longer has an interest in Chrysler). For example I just replaced front calipers at 170,000 miles: Chrysler wanted $580 each, Mercedes $258 each, and remanufactured units were $89 each. That is huge spread!
The code is P0171 and 174
where can I get this done best and is this bad? Can I still drive my car in a 1 miles range?