Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Check engine light came up today

Old 09-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light came up today

Check engine light came up,
what to do to get to the issue? Since Chrysler dealers don't understand anything here in FL , what can I do?

Old 09-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Check engine light came up today

If you have a light, go by one of the many national chains like autozone ect. and have them read the codes for free. That should give you a basic understanding of where to look. Keep in mind they use fairly basic scan tools and are not diagnostic experts by any means. At least from that you will have an idea.

I have dealt with many dealers and shops that have little care for this car. It's not a Chrysler once you get beyond the sheet metal and badges and Mercedes dealers have been locked out of the ECU with Chrysler's software access protocol. Some Mercedes dealers might want to help and if you find one be thankful.

The good part is that parts are widely available and if you look in the right spots you can avoid paying dealer price (which by the way is really high now that Daimler no longer has an interest in Chrysler). For example I just replaced front calipers at 170,000 miles: Chrysler wanted $580 each, Mercedes $258 each, and remanufactured units were $89 each. That is huge spread!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Infinity
If you have a light, go by one of the many national chains like autozone ect. and have them read the codes for free. That should give you a basic understanding of where to look. Keep in mind they use fairly basic scan tools and are not diagnostic experts by any means. At least from that you will have an idea.

I have dealt with many dealers and shops that have little care for this car. It's not a Chrysler once you get beyond the sheet metal and badges and Mercedes dealers have been locked out of the ECU with Chrysler's software access protocol. Some Mercedes dealers might want to help and if you find one be thankful.

The good part is that parts are widely available and if you look in the right spots you can avoid paying dealer price (which by the way is really high now that Daimler no longer has an interest in Chrysler). For example I just replaced front calipers at 170,000 miles: Chrysler wanted $580 each, Mercedes $258 each, and remanufactured units were $89 each. That is huge spread!
Thank you very much for your fast reply. I will try to get the error code and than go from there. Eventually to come back here if I need more help with that code.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by janaiy
Thank you very much for your fast reply. I will try to get the error code and than go from there. Eventually to come back here if I need more help with that code.
Once you know the code that caused the check engine light to go on you can find the code and what it means in the list in the thread link below

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Once you know the code that caused the check engine light to go on you can find the code and what it means in the list in the thread link below

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
The code is P0171 and 174
where can I get this done best and is this bad? Can I still drive my car in a 1 miles range?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:19 PM

If you have a light, go by one of the many national chains like autozone ect. 8and have them read the codes for free. That should give you a basic understanding of where to look. Keep in mind they use fairly basic scan tools and are not diagnostic experts by any means. At least from that you will have an idea.

where can I get this done best and is this bad? Can I still drive my car in a 1 miles range?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Most LIKELY cause is a vacuum leak somewhere.
Could be a dirty/faulty MAF sensor.

At any rate, the PTCM has detected a lean fuel condition, and is unhappy.

Try this :
Disconnect the negative ( black ) battery cable ( 10mm open end wrench ).
Wait 10 minutes, connect it back up.
See if the CEL clears, it may not come back.

If so, then :
1. find the vacuum leak ( lots of ways to do that, use search )
2. clean the MAF sensor ( use search )
3. replace the MAF sensor.

You should be able to drive short distances, but don't take my word on that.
Find a good independent MB type shop that doesn't mind working on a Crossfire.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Read this post, I think it may have your solution, which is to clean the MAF sensor.
I found this using plain old SEARCH.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

Try this :

If so, then :

Thx for the tips. I researched as well. I just don't know where MAV sensor in my Xfire sits. I will research that online. If I can't make it myself I have to find a MB shop who can help . Hopefully. Chrysler people we can forget.
I have also a current problem with my alarm what comes up often outside for no reason. My top isn't opening anymore and my driverside door won't lock anymore with the remote.
Might all those be related to the faulty module?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Read this post, I think it may have your solution, which is to clean the MAF sensor.
I found this using plain old SEARCH.
Thx for your search as well. Since I am "just" a female I have no idea where the MAF sensor sits. Hopefully there are instructions to find.
I also read to check the fuel filter and the oil cap. But since I changed oil 6 month ago and haven't touched it since I dont think its the cap. But I will check it as well.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This owner had the same issue. Here is what he found.

User Gallery
Default Re: code P0171 and P0174

Problem Solved
Figured I'd let others know what the problem was. Engine running lean and throwing the P0171 & P0174 codes due to small air leak. Only at idle would this symptoms appear. Ran great other wise. Searched and searched for leak using starter fluid on vacuum lines - found nothing. MAF sensor replacement didn't affect it. This rough engine at idle started soon after the oil change. Never put the two together.

On the oil cap is two triangles that one is to line up, I assume to indicate the cap is sufficiently tight. Well that was the issue. The triangles were lined up perfect. Problem was is the seal under the cap wasn't fulling mating with the surface (all the time) and was the source of the small air leak. The engine pulls a vacuum and was getting a little air from the oil cap. Had I tighten it like normal and not lined the triangles up, I would have never had then lean codes/engine running rough.

Local shop pressurized the engine via the intake with smoke of some sort and saw it coming out of the oil cap area. A new oil cap solved the problem. go figure.....

Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
This owner had the same issue. Here is what he found.

User Gallery
Default Re: code P0171 and P0174

Problem Solved
Figured I'd let others know what the problem was. Engine running lean and throwing the P0171 & P0174 codes due to small air leak. Only at idle would this symptoms appear. Ran great other wise. Searched and searched for leak using starter fluid on vacuum lines - found nothing. MAF sensor replacement didn't affect it. This rough engine at idle started soon after the oil change. Never put the two together.

On the oil cap is two triangles that one is to line up, I assume to indicate the cap is sufficiently tight. Well that was the issue. The triangles were lined up perfect. Problem was is the seal under the cap wasn't fulling mating with the surface (all the time) and was the source of the small air leak. The engine pulls a vacuum and was getting a little air from the oil cap. Had I tighten it like normal and not lined the triangles up, I would have never had then lean codes/engine running rough.

Local shop pressurized the engine via the intake with smoke of some sort and saw it coming out of the oil cap area. A new oil cap solved the problem. go figure.....
Thx for your i fo as well. Hope I can get it done without spending a fortune. Wish I had some of you DIY guys here.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the tips. I researched as well. I just don't know where MAV sensor in my Xfire sits. I will research that online. If I can't make it myself I have to find a MB shop who can help . Hopefully. Chrysler people we can forget.
I have also a current problem with my alarm what comes up often outside for no reason. My top isn't opening anymore and my driverside door won't lock anymore with the remote.
Crazy as it might seem, yes they can be related. The door lock system is vacuum operated. You will want to look in the passenger side of the trunk for signs of water. history of a water leak from the wing panel is known and on most crossfires it appears the drain plugs were left in the bottom of the trunk leaving no place for the water to go. It can take out the control module for the alarm and door lock system and cause issues. Only the Chrysler dealers system can read the alarm trigger codes (I have yet to see a scanner system gain access to that section of the system).

I chased an alarm problem for months with random triggers and while many here on the forum were calling for replacing alarm sirens, it turned out to be the switch in the glove box that was tripping the system when it got too hot or too cold.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM

Crazy as it might seem, yes they can be related. The door lock system is vacuum operated. You will want to look in the passenger side of the trunk for signs of water. history of a water leak from the wing panel is known and on most crossfires it appears the drain plugs were left in the bottom of the trunk leaving no place for the water to go. It can take out the control module for the alarm and door lock system and cause issues. Only the Chrysler dealers system can read the alarm trigger codes (I have yet to see a scanner system gain access to that section of the system).

I chased an alarm problem for months with random triggers and while many here on the forum were calling for replacing alarm sirens, it turned out to be the switch in the glove box that was tripping the system when it got too hot or too cold.
I will check friday if this might be the cause. I am getting tired with my xfire. Every 6 months something is happening. It is relatively hot this summer in Miami, so hopefully I can resolve. How I know its the switch and where in the glove box I can find it and what should be done? Thx for the reply

Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thx for your i fo as well. Hope I can get it done without spending a fortune. Wish I had some of you DIY guys here.

About the middle of winter, I'll wish I were there to do it for you. No matter what, you never have to shovel sunshine, be grateful.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD

About the middle of winter, I'll wish I were there to do it for you. No matter what, you never have to shovel sunshine, be grateful.
Thx, I wish you were here as well. Today I will check with a MB shop to see what he can do.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:47 AM

What switch in the glove box do you mean? The light switch what turns on when you open? Or is there another? I cant find anything else

Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 AM

This morning will disconnect the negative battery and hope it does not come back up. If so I will have to find a MB shop to see if they can assist me.
Any ideas on my alarm randomly going on, top not closing and driver door only locking with remote?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:46 AM

Try this :

If so, then :

So I just disconnected the negative battery like you said. I let the motor run 2 min and accelerating few times and the check engine light did not come up again. Is this enough or should I drive the car to see if it comes up again?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:34 PM

Try this :

If so, then :

Update. 😄 was able to resolve the issue through disconnecting the negative battery. The check engine sign did not come up again (for now). Thx for your tips.

Quick Reply: Check engine light came up today