View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 PM
ZH SRT6
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Air Pressure sensors

Originally Posted by Travish
If you, for sure, want it to work use this one and go to the dealer to have them programmed. There has been discussion lately about a new different programmable sensor but not entirely confirmed yet.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Schrader 20028 TPMS Sensor fits Chrysler Dodge Isuzu Jeep Mitsubishi (1-pack)
Thanks, Travish, that looks like a good price for the "OEM type" Schrader 20028 sensors. That is what I used to replace my four sensors a couple months ago, in conjunction with new tires, just as the OP Greg Fiore is looking to do. Those Schrader 20028 are the current level replacement for the original factory sensor, with Chrysler or Mopar # 52088990A?, which is the 433 MHz version of TPMS sensor used on all Crossfires. Some information floats around claiming that some North American cars used another sensor, a 315 MHz version, but I would really like anyone who knows their Crossfire came with that 315 MHz sensor to raise their hand here, and tell about it.

As Travish mentioned the big disadvantage to this sensor is that it comes with a new unique Sensor ID built into it, to let the car system know where it is on the car, and that it is actually on your car, and not that Concord in the next lane. The only known way to have a Crossfire learn new sensor IDs requires the dealer-only DRB III scan tool and a special Crossfire & Sprinter multiplexer box (cable) and a special Crossfire DRB III software card. Some Chrysler dealer shops never acquired these special Crossfire tools, and others seem to have lost track of them, since the DRB III was superseded in 2007. Those dealer shops who do have the right stuff usually feel like they should charge an hour of labor (for a 5 minute task) at over $100 to have the car "relearn" TPMS sensor IDs.

The alternative: have your tire shop use "cloneable" sensors which can take on IDs of the sensors already on your car! New sensors with new batteries then look just like the old sensors to the car, except they now are broadcasting the pressure (and temperature) signal to the car, so that light will go out (as long as the pressure is right)!

Several brands of clonable sensors are available, the one I would choose is the EZ-Sensor made by Schrader. A tire shop tech reads old sensor IDs then programs four new sensors with the same IDs, installs those in your new tires, and all systems are happy.

In my experience the old sensors could still report their IDs to a handheld tool more than two months after the car receiver no longer saw them. Although a couple of the old sensors did wait until "woken up" by putting a TPMS magnet on them.

Discount Tire seems to have Schrader EZ-Sensors and related equipment on hand and, parallel to their policy of doing flat repairs for free, will bring the handheld TPMS diagnostic (and programming) tool to your car to check sensors without even having to pull the car into a bay. Really, any tire shop would be able to read the sensors and confirm that yours are working on 433 MHz before buying those Schrader 20028 (433 MHz) replacements. If they are really nice, they would even write down the eight character sensor ID for each corner. But that would be extra work, because the handheld tool will remember those IDs in case programming new "clone" sensors is necessary.

So my suggestion: check to learn that your tire shop does have "cloneable" sensors and will talk with you enough to do things correctly. Have them check the old sensors and record IDs, or copy sensor IDs to new sensors to be installed with new tires. Remember, old sensors might want to be triggered by the magnet before sending their IDs. (Techs told me magnet was only for Cadillacs, or Prowlers, etc. Had to tease them into using on my Crossfire.)

Save yourself a trip to a Chrysler dealer shop (if you have one with the tools and knowledge) and the $100+ of that visit by using cloneable sensors.

Then tell us that it worked!