Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Wheel Air Pressure sensors

Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Air Pressure sensors

My 2006 Roadster LTD is displaying the "tire" symbol, indicating tire air pressure issues.
All pressures are at speck. I will be changing tires soon and decided that the sensor(s)
should be changed. The Tire guy told me that the main reason for the sensors going bad is the internal, sealed battery. Usually this is an age issue, and if so, does it make sense to replace the sensors with original, new or used sensors that are probably near end of life?
Where can fresh sensors be purchased that will be compatible with the Crossfire tire pressure receiver and reporting hardware?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Air Pressure sensors

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...01-basics.html

Click on this ^^^^ link.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you, for sure, want it to work use this one and go to the dealer to have them programmed. There has been discussion lately about a new different programmable sensor but not entirely confirmed yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

or

Disable the light here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ng-system.html

Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Travish
If you, for sure, want it to work use this one and go to the dealer to have them programmed. There has been discussion lately about a new different programmable sensor but not entirely confirmed yet.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Schrader 20028 TPMS Sensor fits Chrysler Dodge Isuzu Jeep Mitsubishi (1-pack)
Thanks, Travish, that looks like a good price for the "OEM type" Schrader 20028 sensors. That is what I used to replace my four sensors a couple months ago, in conjunction with new tires, just as the OP Greg Fiore is looking to do. Those Schrader 20028 are the current level replacement for the original factory sensor, with Chrysler or Mopar # 52088990A?, which is the 433 MHz version of TPMS sensor used on all Crossfires. Some information floats around claiming that some North American cars used another sensor, a 315 MHz version, but I would really like anyone who knows their Crossfire came with that 315 MHz sensor to raise their hand here, and tell about it.

As Travish mentioned the big disadvantage to this sensor is that it comes with a new unique Sensor ID built into it, to let the car system know where it is on the car, and that it is actually on your car, and not that Concord in the next lane. The only known way to have a Crossfire learn new sensor IDs requires the dealer-only DRB III scan tool and a special Crossfire & Sprinter multiplexer box (cable) and a special Crossfire DRB III software card. Some Chrysler dealer shops never acquired these special Crossfire tools, and others seem to have lost track of them, since the DRB III was superseded in 2007. Those dealer shops who do have the right stuff usually feel like they should charge an hour of labor (for a 5 minute task) at over $100 to have the car "relearn" TPMS sensor IDs.

The alternative: have your tire shop use "cloneable" sensors which can take on IDs of the sensors already on your car! New sensors with new batteries then look just like the old sensors to the car, except they now are broadcasting the pressure (and temperature) signal to the car, so that light will go out (as long as the pressure is right)!

Several brands of clonable sensors are available, the one I would choose is the EZ-Sensor made by Schrader. A tire shop tech reads old sensor IDs then programs four new sensors with the same IDs, installs those in your new tires, and all systems are happy.

In my experience the old sensors could still report their IDs to a handheld tool more than two months after the car receiver no longer saw them. Although a couple of the old sensors did wait until "woken up" by putting a TPMS magnet on them.

Discount Tire seems to have Schrader EZ-Sensors and related equipment on hand and, parallel to their policy of doing flat repairs for free, will bring the handheld TPMS diagnostic (and programming) tool to your car to check sensors without even having to pull the car into a bay. Really, any tire shop would be able to read the sensors and confirm that yours are working on 433 MHz before buying those Schrader 20028 (433 MHz) replacements. If they are really nice, they would even write down the eight character sensor ID for each corner. But that would be extra work, because the handheld tool will remember those IDs in case programming new "clone" sensors is necessary.

So my suggestion: check to learn that your tire shop does have "cloneable" sensors and will talk with you enough to do things correctly. Have them check the old sensors and record IDs, or copy sensor IDs to new sensors to be installed with new tires. Remember, old sensors might want to be triggered by the magnet before sending their IDs. (Techs told me magnet was only for Cadillacs, or Prowlers, etc. Had to tease them into using on my Crossfire.)

Save yourself a trip to a Chrysler dealer shop (if you have one with the tools and knowledge) and the $100+ of that visit by using cloneable sensors.

Then tell us that it worked!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
Thanks, Travish, that looks like a good price for the "OEM type" Schrader 20028 sensors. That is what I used to replace my four sensors a couple months ago, in conjunction with new tires, just as the OP Greg Fiore is looking to do. Those Schrader 20028 are the current level replacement for the original factory sensor, with Chrysler or Mopar # 52088990A?, which is the 433 MHz version of TPMS sensor used on all Crossfires. Some information floats around claiming that some North American cars used another sensor, a 315 MHz version, but I would really like anyone who knows their Crossfire came with that 315 MHz sensor to raise their hand here, and tell about it.
Back in the day there were different sensors mentioned, for instance the Crossfire parts list has three numbers in it. They were made by two different makers in some literature and were listed for North American use. Makers of the replacement sensors quoted two frequency ranges. It was all confusing as the numbers did not relate to one another. According to some paperwork the 2005 models could have one of two types of sensor using different frequencies. I also asked last year if the other type had been found but no one responded, not that I expected anyone to anyway as the 20028 looks like the universal fit in all Crossfires.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Back in 2011 I asked Arado (Gary) if he would take apart one of his old sensors and see what powered them, this was because some Corvette forum poster said he had replaced the batteries in his sensors.

Gary did take one apart and this was his answer with a photo.

You piqued my interest so I stripped one down. It is very heavily potted with a super tough elastic polymer. The battery is a Maxell CR245HR..3 volt putting out 2.99volt at this time. Replacing it not worth the labor cost. Battery diameter 25mm. last a long time. gary

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.JPG (974.4 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-16-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
Those Schrader 20028 are the current level replacement for the original factory sensor, with Chrysler or Mopar # 52088990A?, which is the 433 MHz version of TPMS sensor used on all Crossfires. Some information floats around claiming that some North American cars used another sensor, a 315 MHz version, but I would really like anyone who knows their Crossfire came with that 315 MHz sensor to raise their hand here, and tell about it.
The sad part is by VIN the dealership told me mine was built with the 315 MHz version. I was glad I took the car to a tire shop with a trigger signal strength tester and had them checked. They were 433's.

So I too would like to know if anyone discovers any 315's in North America.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Wheel Air Pressure sensors

If you must have a sensor, this is one easy work around.

tire pressure monitor | eBay

THis is my approach and it works on all of my vehicles back to the 1973 challenger.

4 Pcs Car Auto Tire Monitor Valve Dust Cap Pressure Indicator Sensor Eye Alert | eBay

I took out the light wire long ago thanks to rudy, with several sets of wheels and slicks made them too too much trouble.

Enjoy Woody