View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 11:54 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Dreaded parasitic battery drain

Speaking as a 31 year electronic technician: You can't measure current by the appearance of the spark you see. PERIOD. You have GOT to insert a meter in series with the battery cable and see what you REALLY have. THEN you can proceed.

I see indications of a bad battery or perhaps horribly corroded battery terminals, corroded battery ground cable lug or a very weak alternator. And a burnt circuit board? I'd like to see that one explained before you go any farther, you COULD have high alternator output which has damaged electronics and overcharged and ruined the battery - but this would be VERY rare, it's possible but I don't really think it is the case.

It's hard to know where to start here, but an ammeter in series with the battery cable and doors closed, key off and removed from the ignition - once you connect the meter, let it settle down (takes the modules 1/2 minute to initialize) - you should see no more than .05 amp which is 50 milliamp. I'd prefer to see around .02 but anything under .05 is likely ok. IF you meter does show .02 to .05 amp, then we can move on from there, but that is the FIRST thing I would say, given what you have posted.

We are having a tech day on March 5 in Oakwood on the shore of Lake Lanier, you should join the ATL group so you are not so alone!

On Facebook, we are "CROSSFIRES IN THE SOUTH".