View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM
dedwards0323
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Originally Posted by VALK
Really a good video on basic tire pressure maintenance. I check the pressure on all my vehicles every 45 days; and the spare probably every 4 months. And knowing the influence temperature has on the inflation pressure, it's good to know that as winter approaches, the tire will be under-inflated compared to summer time conditions & you'll need to add air pressure. Likewise, if you keep your tires properly inflated during winter season, the tire will be over-inflated during summer season and you need to bleed off air pressure.

Summer to Winter: Add air pressure to maintain recommended inflation pressure

Winter to Summer: Bleed off air pressure to maintain inflation pressure.

I also use the rule that checking tire pressure after driving several miles and/or like during a trip, the air pressure measured will be about 3 psig greater that the air pressure at standard conditions. Tire pressure won't increase much once the tire "heats up" after a few miles of driving. Tire design takes into account operating temperatures and controls this effect over a wide range of operating conditions. Some tires do this better than others. That correlates to the temperature rating on the tire.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-14-2016 at 08:48 AM.