Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Official Tire Review Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Winter driving !!! Oh no that's not going happen to me !!! LOL my baby sleeps all winter long !!! LOL

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Seems Crossfires and bears have a lot in common :
1. both sleep all winter long.
2. both are magnificent animals
3. both scare the crap out of the competition ( at least the SRT6 does )
4. both mate for life ( or at least mine did )
5. both are becoming scarcer to find.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoonami

Never heard of going wider in the winters, I guess unless you don't have any snow to speak of.

I don't really drive it in the MN winters, but have brought it out in light snow before. I would think the car wouldn't be going anywhere with 285s on the back if there was even half an inch of snow on the road.
Depends where you live, light snow, deep snow, slush, freezing rain, packed snow???
Do you need your tires to cut through the snow or try to float on top.

With the 255 all seasons I had with weights in the back sucked bad, the 285's with weight surprized me, in my area.

This is from content tial tire

ForumRunner_20160504_124857.png

Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

New tires yesterday. My rears were Michelins 285/30 19 A/S 3. They had 32,000 miles and had worn evenly both left and right. The fronts were Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinum with 43,000 miles, but badly worn inside from excessive negative camber.
I installed eccentric bolts on the front, got an alignment and bought four new Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3 plus. Running the stock P255/40ZR 18 size in front, but the wider P285/30ZR 19 on the rear. Obviously I liked the Michelins. They are very good in the wet, which is a big concern for me, and actually better in dry conditions than many "summer" rated tires on the tire rack web site.

Last edited by zip439; 06-30-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: corrected milage
Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ordered 2 Pirelli Sottozero series II RUN FLATS 275/35/19 ...2013 production winter tires from tire rack ....$110 . They are only V rated, but Wilma is unlikely to ever go over

Old 08-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Advertised as 2013 production.....when received... actually say 3914...that's the 39th week of 2014. Sweet.....$110.....same tire now available as W rated....$386. V is OK with me...exceeding 149 in the snow doesn't seem wise.

Before you say they will melt away if I use them year-round....I used Blizzack winter tires for well over 40,000 miles on Fred.

Last edited by Chris L.; 08-29-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Old 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK
Really a good video on basic tire pressure maintenance. I check the pressure on all my vehicles every 45 days; and the spare probably every 4 months. And knowing the influence temperature has on the inflation pressure, it's good to know that as winter approaches, the tire will be under-inflated compared to summer time conditions & you'll need to add air pressure. Likewise, if you keep your tires properly inflated during winter season, the tire will be over-inflated during summer season and you need to bleed off air pressure.

Summer to Winter: Add air pressure to maintain recommended inflation pressure

Winter to Summer: Bleed off air pressure to maintain inflation pressure.

I also use the rule that checking tire pressure after driving several miles and/or like during a trip, the air pressure measured will be about 3 psig greater that the air pressure at standard conditions. Tire pressure won't increase much once the tire "heats up" after a few miles of driving. Tire design takes into account operating temperatures and controls this effect over a wide range of operating conditions. Some tires do this better than others. That correlates to the temperature rating on the tire.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-14-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Really a good video on basic tire pressure maintenance. I check the pressure on all my vehicles every 45 days; and the spare probably every 4 months. And knowing the influence temperature has on the inflation pressure, it's good to know that as winter approaches, the tire will be under-inflated compared to summer time conditions & you'll need to add air pressure. Likewise, if you keep your tires properly inflated during winter season, the tire will be over-inflated during summer season and you need to bleed off air pressure.

Summer to Winter: Add air pressure to maintain recommended inflation pressure

Winter to Summer: Bleed off air pressure to maintain inflation pressure.

I also use the rule that checking tire pressure after driving several miles and/or like during a trip, the air pressure measured will be about 3 psig greater that the air pressure at standard conditions. Tire pressure won't increase much once the tire "heats up" after a few miles of driving. Tire design takes into account operating temperatures and controls this effect over a wide range of operating conditions. Some tires do this better than others. That correlates to the temperature rating on the tire.

I agree the vid is a good source of information. In addition to your post, any time you check your tire pressures, try to check them while they are (all 4) shaded (anyone who touches a hot tire knows what I mean). This results in a more accurate tire pressure 'balancing' for when you add air to specifications. You may find this interesting, check the pressures in the shade (all 4) and THEN pull it out and let it sit with the hot sun on two of them. Let them 'bake' for a couple hours, and watch how much more the influence of a summer sun has on tire pressures. Driving down the road, you'll see they 'cool' (those tires that were in the sun and adjusted) so if you added to one side and it was shaded OR let some out on the 'sun' side you'll have a left/right imbalance. Tires are all designed (road tires, not specially tires) to be checked/filled when cold, driving them less than a mile does not 'normally' heat them up too much (as said, check them cold). When inflated to the correct pressures (OEM sizes) printed on the tire inflation sticker, they take into consideration its maximum load (also printed on the label), and the heat normally generated by roll resistance (in hot climates) does not hurt them.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Just got back from 2017 Fall Crossfire ToD GTG in Fontana Dam, NC. Wanted to post here that this was the first experience for me with the Barum Bravuris 3HM tires other than normal day-to-day driving. I gotta say that I was impressed with how "sure-footed" the XFire performed on roadways that can create some challenges. It's been quite a few years since the XFire felt so responsive and gripped the roadway like it did. Just convinced me that my selection & purchase of this tire was a good one.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I now have over 2000 miles on my new rear tires. 255/35R-19 FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 XL
I just wanted to let others know that these really inexpensive tires ($138 shipped price with road hazard coverage from tire rack) are much much better than expected. They are summer only tires. They seem really good in the rain, run very quiet and stick to the road like glue when tested at relatively slow speed in an empty parking lot.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I talked to Schrader... The tech guy was WELL AWARE of the Crossfire... LOL!!! Yeah since they are all dead I'll have to bring mine to the dealer regardless. They want $135 for 1 hour of work to re-program them all since there is nothing to clone off of for the 33500's. Schrader suggested for sure to use the 20028 which is the OE equivalent of the Mopar part which is 68406527AA which is 433MHz

Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I run Barum on my 2006 roadster and LOVE them

Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcwhite67

Same here, check my sig! Still going strong! And, you register them on USA Continental website (they are European Continentals)!

Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dcwhite67
There are quite a few XFire Owners using these tires and we tend to all agree with your perspective. IMO - One of the better performance versus price tires on the market. Performance matches the typical premier tire lines with a cost considerably lower than those same premier tire lines.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Got the new Rear tires mounted today
Continental Extreme Contact Sport - 285/35/19
About an inch wider and taller the the OEM size but fit perfectly and give the car a good stance

285/35/19 will stick out beyond the rim and protect it
No problems with clearance and only 1mph off on my speedometer.
Quiet tires with extreme grip wet or dry
I’ve been running this size for many years now

Old 06-26-2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Valk
Got the new Rear tires mounted today
Continental Extreme Contact Sport - 285/35/19
About an inch wider and taller the the OEM size but fit perfectly and give the car a good stance

285/35/19 will stick out beyond the rim and protect it
No problems with clearance and only 1mph off on my speedometer.
Quiet tires with extreme grip wet or dry
I’ve been running this size for many years now

Very interesting. What do you run on the front?

Old 06-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_Lukeman
Very interesting. What do you run on the front?
Same brand but the stock size tire on the front

Old 06-26-2020, 06:55 PM

Nice choice Valk. Though I've run a few different makes of tire over the years, I came back to the Continental brand. My last two sets have been the Extreme Contact in size 285/30/19 on the rear. Excellent grip, and they hold good in the corners. I'll be getting a new set of tires in the near future. I think I'll take a look at the Extreme Contact Sport. A little taller side wall may make those easier to install. The guys who do my tires usually struggle mightily to get those on. On the front are the same at 235/40/19. Hope you get a lot of good driving miles out of that set you just put on.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Living in Canada I would not buy summer tires again, when the temperature gets to 50 degrees F. the tires get too hard and become a bit hairy. I like my Hankook Ventus tires fine but never again. The car is off the road by the middle of October at the latest or as soon as I see they have sprayed some roads with that liquid ice melter they use.

I have never had a rear alignment it is a stock setup and the wear is very balanced, I had the fronts done when they said they could do the backs s well, then they said they could not do the rears and charged me nothing for the fronts. I have maybe one more year on the rears, they could go more but I would sooner be safe than sorry, they have been on for seven summers. Mileage is about 17,500 miles.

One rear had an inside sidewall slash, replaced under warranty and the other rear a slow puncture.

Quick Reply: Official Tire Review Thread