Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Official Tire Review Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Official Tire Review Thread

can the mods sticky this? every other car forum on the net has a tire review thread stickied in the tire/wheel section so it would be nice if this site had one too.

Rules: only post reviews on tires that YOU personally have used on your crossfire.

Brand:
Model:
Size:
Treadwear:
Brief Review of Handling, road noise, durability (based on the miles you've put on them), wet weather handling, etc.
Any other info you might want to provide in terms of cost and overall value for your money.
Finally, give a good indication of whether you'd buy them again or if you'd gladly give them away if you could afford to throw money away on new tires whenever you want.

CHEAP TIRES:

www.discounttiredirect.com (FREE SHIPPING)
www.tirerack.com
www.tiresavings.com
www.ebay.com

Last edited by mrphotoman; 03-15-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

BRAND: vredestein

MODEL: ultrac sessanta

SIZE: 275/35/19

Treadwear 280

super quiet
great in the rain
great in the dry
pull 1.77 60' times at dragstrip
did fantastic on the roadcourse

great tires, cheap and would be hard to beat at any price.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Brand: MICKEY THOMPSON
Model: ET STREETS RADIALS
Size: 255/50/16

Very sticky, requires very little burnout (bigger burnouts just waste the tire).
Able to pull a best of 1.70 60' and average low 1.7x's at the track
experience swaying (soft sidewall, drag radial so expected) on the streets
not too shabby in the rain for a drag radial.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Brand: NITTO
Model: NEO GEN ZR
Size: 225/40/18
Treadwear: 280

Great cheap all season performance radial. very quiet, handles good for performance all season and does pretty darn good in light snow. These do not get hard in the cold weather and so far with around 2,000 miles on them they are wearing great. The grip level is very good on these, i was surprised.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 08-28-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cooper ZEON A/S SPORT
225/40/18 92 W utog 400

I drive like a lunatic...

Wears like iron....put on the fronts at 17,000 miles...now have 38,000 miles....suggests 5,250 miles per 32nd....as there is 6 /32nds left...original 10/32nds....= potential 42,000 mile total life till 2/32nds left.

No complaints with handling or noise.

Unfortunately they don't make these in a 19 for the rear.

UPDATE....between odometer 38000 & 41000 (tires at 24000) noise/vibration.....minor cupping.....replaced with Achilles ATR AS......noise - vibration gone....would not buy Coopers again......they did still have 4-5 32nds left....just couldn't live with noise!!!

Last edited by Chris L.; 04-27-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Brand: Michelin
Model:
Pilot Sport PS2
Size: 255/35/19
Treadwear:
Brief Review of Handling, road noise, durability (based on the miles you've put on them):

I really did not care for how these handled on the srt6 in the curves. It felt unbalanced and like the rear end of the car was too light/was going to break loose even though it never did. The vredistein ultrac tires felt a lot more balanced on the car and on the track. They did pretty good in the rain but nothing spectacular, again the vredistein tires were much better in the wet.

I would not buy them again, i feel they are overhyped.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mode:l Pilot Sport Cup
Size: 265/35/19
Treadware: 80
Great traction in the moist. Driving through puddles = Death wish. Tremendous cornering and braking traction once at the recommended hot temperature and correct PSI. Poor acceleration traction, especially when cold. Quiet ride, 2500 combined track and street miles. Perhaps 2 track days left (wearing perfectly with -2º camber front and rear). Everything you run over sticks to the tires. So far have lasted longer than the PS'2s! Expensive. Hard to read the traction limit when cold. They have more traction than I have nerve when warmed up. I will be buying them again.

Les

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire: Toyo Proxes T-1R 225/40zr 18 92y fronts
275/35zr 19100y rear

Treadwear 260

A solid all around tire great in cold! wet! (go ahead and drive thru those puddles @ 70mph) and super sticky in the dry!

I love these tires for their feedback! (very comunicative at the limit!) and versatility! However they are starting to get a little noisy @ 5,000 miles. (I do have a roadster) and seem to wear quickly. (My wife says I should stop burning out and driving fast) I do both! Infact I test all multiple corners as often as I can to see what my highest speed could be. safely of course!

Will buy these tires again ( drove my son's focus today as my crossfire was getting the 45,000 mile checkup and his 16" Kumho solus were noisier in his focus coup)

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yokahama Advan S4 horrible in the snow, in all fairness, second winter with about 1/2 their life. Not bad in the summer, I never could get them to screech on the on and off ramps. Better than the org. Cont. for cornering traction ..See pics in gallery...She got stuck in the snow on the crossing.
Now running Mich PS2 for summer, not bad so far, better than the Yokohama's. We'll be running a mixed set of Blizzaks for the winter. . LM-25's in the rear for better forward/reverse traction in the snow being the drive wheels, and LM-60's in the front, for more of a staighter track through the snow figuring I didn't really need to worry about loading up the tread going reverse with the fronts, just steer, better going forward preferably. So I think we just received the 19"tires?? . Meineke just called and said 3/4's of our order came in. 4 rim's and 2 tires. Going to see them tomorrow.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Potenza RE050A Pole Position(Max Performance Summer)

Brand: BRIDGESTONE
Model: RE050A POLE POSITION
Size: 235/40/18 AND 285/35/19
Brief Review:

Handling: So far these are the best tires I have ever used. I like these much better than the pilot sports, the handling feels very balanced on these tires. On the ps2's the rear end of the car always felt light, like it was going to break away. With these tires the car feels very neutral, balanced.
Road noise: no road noise, VERY quiet!
Durability: I have around 2,000 miles so far and holding up great. 1 track day so far.
Wet: Very good, I haven't had any slips or surprises yet.
Dry: Amazing, they grip so well it is scary.
Overall: I love these tires, a significant upgrade over the Vredestein tires. I just wish these were a little cheaper. Overall these tires are absolutely amazing.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Model: Pilot Sport PS2
Size: 255/35/19
Brief Review of Handling, road noise, durability (based on the miles you've put on them):

I really did not care for how these handled on the srt6 in the curves. It felt unbalanced and like the rear end of the car was too light/was going to break loose even though it never did.
I would not buy them again, i feel they are overhyped.

Could I ask that anyone that provides a tire review also states (like Mr. Photoman) the model of Crossfire that the tire was tested on. I am very interested in a tire for the SRT6 that will help keep the rear end where it is supposed to be.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:36 PM

You would be happy with the pole position tires. i know what you mean about the car feeling unbalanced and the rear end feeling like it is light/wants to swing out. These tires made a MAJOR difference in the handling of the car, very confidence inspiring.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Appreciate your info on this as I have had several occasions where tha rear end has gone out on me on well worn asphalt that appears to have a bit of a sheen to it. The PS2's will not grip at all and actually grip better in wet conditions than on this type of pavement when dry.
Tires have less than 10,000 miles on them with lots of tread but they suck.
Very interested in the Pole Positions.
Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Appreciate your info on this as I have had several occasions where tha rear end has gone out on me on well worn asphalt that appears to have a bit of a sheen to it. The PS2's will not grip at all and actually grip better in wet conditions than on this type of pavement when dry.
Tires have less than 10,000 miles on them with lots of tread but they suck.
Very interested in the Pole Positions.
Thanks again.
i wasn't happy with the ps2's, to me the car handled strange with them on. a lot of people love them though but i did not.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM

i wasn't happy with the ps2's, to me the car handled strange with them on. a lot of people love them though but i did not.
Now that I think about it, you're right. The rear always felt like it was >< this close to stepping out on more than one occasion.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Infinite
Now that I think about it, you're right. The rear always felt like it was >< this close to stepping out on more than one occasion.
yeah, the car felt "nervous" with the ps2's in my opinion. I live in the mountains and have driven in the curves all my life and i just did not feel very confident in the car with those tires. the pole position tires feel great on the other hand.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 AM

yeah, the car felt "nervous" with the ps2's in my opinion. I live in the mountains and have driven in the curves all my life and i just did not feel very confident in the car with those tires. the pole position tires feel great on the other hand.
I had a severe problem that when they were cold, they'd just spin under hard acceleration from a stop. Driving down the highway in the rain, the backend felt like it wanted to skate back and forth, light rain, above 65 was down right scary.

I ran alot of negative camber, so once they got up to temp in the mountains they felt decent but it took alot to get them to the point of feeling right, 32-34psi cold. Hard hard runs to get them hot, if I went up in the mountains on cold tires hey would just spin/step out.

I remember I was heading up a local mountain run spot to meet some friends. I use the 2 lane uphill switchbacks to warm up tires and on the way up, 3rd gear, light throttle, the car would either push on exit, or snap oversteer.

Now I've got Bridgestone re050a's at all 4 corners and the car feels much more planted and stable, at least for the types of driving I do. I'll continue to experiment with tires to see what feels right, since currently I'm going through a set every 3-4k miles or less

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BRAND: Kumho

MODEL: Ecsta SPT

SIZE: 255/35/19

Treadwear 320

seemed like a good tire but i was hoping to get more then 30K miles. at 30K miles, i'm showing belts. i don't race this car so from now on i'm looking for longlife. these tires are too expensive to change every 1.5-2 years.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 PM

any "performance" tire is not going to be a long life tire.

You're in the land of sports cars and low profile tires. 30k is pretty much the limit for any tire thats going on a car like ours.

Want long life tires? buy an SUV or a minivan

Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM

i average 8k to 10k out of a set of tires which is about average if you drive a sports car like a sports car.

Quick Reply: Official Tire Review Thread