View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 01:48 PM
GraphiteGhost
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Really a good video on basic tire pressure maintenance. I check the pressure on all my vehicles every 45 days; and the spare probably every 4 months. And knowing the influence temperature has on the inflation pressure, it's good to know that as winter approaches, the tire will be under-inflated compared to summer time conditions & you'll need to add air pressure. Likewise, if you keep your tires properly inflated during winter season, the tire will be over-inflated during summer season and you need to bleed off air pressure.

Summer to Winter: Add air pressure to maintain recommended inflation pressure

Winter to Summer: Bleed off air pressure to maintain inflation pressure.

I also use the rule that checking tire pressure after driving several miles and/or like during a trip, the air pressure measured will be about 3 psig greater that the air pressure at standard conditions. Tire pressure won't increase much once the tire "heats up" after a few miles of driving. Tire design takes into account operating temperatures and controls this effect over a wide range of operating conditions. Some tires do this better than others. That correlates to the temperature rating on the tire.

I agree the vid is a good source of information. In addition to your post, any time you check your tire pressures, try to check them while they are (all 4) shaded (anyone who touches a hot tire knows what I mean). This results in a more accurate tire pressure 'balancing' for when you add air to specifications. You may find this interesting, check the pressures in the shade (all 4) and THEN pull it out and let it sit with the hot sun on two of them. Let them 'bake' for a couple hours, and watch how much more the influence of a summer sun has on tire pressures. Driving down the road, you'll see they 'cool' (those tires that were in the sun and adjusted) so if you added to one side and it was shaded OR let some out on the 'sun' side you'll have a left/right imbalance. Tires are all designed (road tires, not specially tires) to be checked/filled when cold, driving them less than a mile does not 'normally' heat them up too much (as said, check them cold). When inflated to the correct pressures (OEM sizes) printed on the tire inflation sticker, they take into consideration its maximum load (also printed on the label), and the heat normally generated by roll resistance (in hot climates) does not hurt them.