Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Lurkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career Advice

So I am coming to you guys and gals for some career advice, I have a few people that I can talk to about, but I want some other opinions and thoughts.

So currently I am an ASM at Advance auto parts, I started there in march of this year, before this I worked for Tractor supply co, as a key holder for two years. During that time All in Garage (do it yourself garage/full service) was just starting up, and I had met the owners. It was slow for them in the beginning, and they didn't have much money to spend on adverting and I didn't have much to spend, working on my car there. So we traded time for time, I went out and helped get businesses with fleet vehicles to switch to their shop, and they gave me time to work on my car for free. In the beginning it was push for full service work, and then I went after DIY customers. As time continued, I did less, and eventually stopped because I became to busy with TSC, and then in march I was offered the ASM position at advance.

I enjoy working for corporate companies, but there are many downsides, and my current boss is not letting me expand my wings. I have been trying to transfer out to another store to learn more under someone else, there are plenty of openings but they just won't let me.
There are other things going on, such as sexual harassment, and unethical situations, but even if I say something I am afraid it will backfire on me. (it happened once before at another job).

So, I started to search for a new job, and decided that I might want to get into trucking. But then All in Garage called me today, and offered me a job with them, for the same as I make now at advance or more.

Now here's my question, is it weird or different to leave a corporate job for a small business? I never look at a situation that's just for the present, but for the future also. Any advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I watched that video about posting and you, so I tried to put enough detail for everyone to understand.

Mike.