General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Career Advice

Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career Advice

So I am coming to you guys and gals for some career advice, I have a few people that I can talk to about, but I want some other opinions and thoughts.

So currently I am an ASM at Advance auto parts, I started there in march of this year, before this I worked for Tractor supply co, as a key holder for two years. During that time All in Garage (do it yourself garage/full service) was just starting up, and I had met the owners. It was slow for them in the beginning, and they didn't have much money to spend on adverting and I didn't have much to spend, working on my car there. So we traded time for time, I went out and helped get businesses with fleet vehicles to switch to their shop, and they gave me time to work on my car for free. In the beginning it was push for full service work, and then I went after DIY customers. As time continued, I did less, and eventually stopped because I became to busy with TSC, and then in march I was offered the ASM position at advance.

I enjoy working for corporate companies, but there are many downsides, and my current boss is not letting me expand my wings. I have been trying to transfer out to another store to learn more under someone else, there are plenty of openings but they just won't let me.
There are other things going on, such as sexual harassment, and unethical situations, but even if I say something I am afraid it will backfire on me. (it happened once before at another job).

So, I started to search for a new job, and decided that I might want to get into trucking. But then All in Garage called me today, and offered me a job with them, for the same as I make now at advance or more.

Now here's my question, is it weird or different to leave a corporate job for a small business? I never look at a situation that's just for the present, but for the future also. Any advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I watched that video about posting and you, so I tried to put enough detail for everyone to understand.

Mike.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Default Re: Career Advice

It's not weird at all. Actually I like the concept of the All in Garage....if there was one here in Atlanta I'd use it. Try to understand the business vision. Are they thinking of expanding to multiple locations. If so would you have a ground floor opportunity to be the business manager of one? Have they considered developing the business into a franchise model? I remember in the early days a friend who's boyfriend was a manager of one of the first Dominos pizzas. After 20 years he owned 20+ stores.

Whatever you do, work hard and find your passion. Continue to seek education. Obtain a college degree even part time with classes from a brick and mortar school (take online courses from established universities where credits will transfer). A college degree will help you in the corporate world. If you're technical get an engineering degree, if you're good at math consider accounting, if you like reading, consider history. Don't settle for just a college degree, pursue a masters. Make learning a lifelong pursuit.

Also, consider military service...you will gain leadership skills and the ability to work as a team under high pressure...as well as a trade. There are also good educational benefits GI Montgomery Bill. You are young take chances, start saving in a retirement account as much as you can.

Consider a job in law enforcement...many of which have amazing benefit plans (i.e., retirement after 25 years with 70% of your average of top 5 years salaries). Similarly many state/city governments, and state universities have great pensions n plans....find one, work 25 years and be eligible to retire by 50. Or keep working and be a "double dipper" with two retirements.

Last edited by Rpaczan; 11-01-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Rpaczan has good advice. I'll add that with a large corporation you know the package deals on retirement, insurance, vacation time and pay. When working for a small business you do not. Granted a large corporation can be stifling and very difficult for advancement, especially without some kind of a degree ( a two year degree is almost a requirement these days). Especially down in the South many small business have what I call a plantation mentality; keep the employee dumb and give them nothing; "you will get your vacation at Christmas for one week just like all the rest of us" or "no you can't have just one day, you must take it all together in one week"; " you have reached the top of your pay scale, you're not getting any more raises" . With small businesses it is much more relevant as to how well they are doing financially and the personal relationship between you and the owners. Within a large corporation there is the personal relationship between you and the "boss', but the ladder for advancement and your financial well being is much more defined. Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Hi Mike, Just wanted to point out that stats say a typical person will change 'careers' 7-10 times in his/her lifetime. You have a huge advantage as your young and WILLING to work (much needed in this society these days). Sometimes, the world does not move fast enough for you but suffice to know you need to evaluate your goals constantly. I would suggest you take a few months to set some realistic goals for the next year, 5 years, 10, and 15 years. The few months investment may help (since your still 'employed') put things in focus AND give you a chance to select where you want to go and what you want to do. Sorry, there is NO magic involved, just some serious soul searching and a plan. The start of which is a personal inventory (realistic) and goal setting. Once you start planning you will find the plan is more fluid than you may have originally thought, so be prepared for a 'leap of faith' or settling down until things improve. Good suggestions abound so far! Sit down and start on a plan, after that it is all up to you. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone who responded! I will use everything that I learn to find the right path for myself. I'll let you guys know on Friday if I take the job at the garage!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Well....if you have any questions young man, just PM me and we can talk anytime. I had dual careers. Law Enforcement/Trucking. 35 yrs in LE, and I am still trucking w/ 43 yrs and counting. I have had other side businesses, and partners on some mechanical shops as well. Raced motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, even lawn mowers lol.... It pays to network with your friends. They know people, and can hook you up to try out a job, or learn a trade before you commit to it. But, as stated above, you need a plan. I don't believe in hopping from one job to another. I like to take time off, and spend time around the job I think I might want to do. I owned a backhoe as my uncles were in the ditching business. I would rent out or run the backhoe in my spare time. Either way the backhoe earned money. Did that with a skidsteer, commercial lawn mowers, and well, you get the picture. There are a lot of ways to make a living if you have the right connections. So network young man. Get to know the people that are doing what you think you may want to try. See if they will hire you part time to try it out. But don't bounce around too much. Employers today will look at that as a problem I am afraid.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM

Hey guys!

I just wanted to update all of you, and let you know that I took the job at All in Garage as there shop manager, I can't wait to start working there!

Thanks for your advice, and even though it's a small business I hope, I will help it grow into something large and wonderful!

Mike

Old 11-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for you, I hope this is a step up. Plus the added benefit of having a good garage at your disposal. Now start selling everyone you know on this concept, then watch it grow. Maybe even a little money on the side, doing tune ups an other small stuff.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Luck!

Smaller businesses have their advantages. You have a closer relationship with the higher ups, not a number to a corporate office. The environment is also very different.

I personally took a job at small startup company in Cleveland over a small, but well established company. Reason for this was the startup company emphasized more on life/work balance, better working environment, less corporate politics, more face to face meeting with bosses/managers/co-workers/owners. It is a very relaxed work environment, stress free and working here has been very fun actually.
As for the other company, at first you would think, "Wow this place is awesome!" We got free food, nerf gun wars, everyone was a fellow gamer/nerd. So it was cool. Then you realize that you have to work 10-12 hours a day, nerf gun wars meant you had to stay at work longer, the free food was there so you don't have to leave and can put in more work, sometimes you have to work over the weekend, the politics sucked. Had a coworker contact me and when he didn't get a reply within 5 minutes he reported to the higher ups. I had to take screen shots and computed my average response time and compared it to his average response time to show that it wasa misunderstanding on his part (putting this nicely, guy was douche). There was also zero training at the other job, no yearly raises, extremely long hours with weekends, etc etc corporate bullcrap.

Anyway, sorry if that became a rant, but I personally do not like working for corporate companies. I hope that working for younger company also gives me room to move in the future. Also, you are only a year younger than I am, so this is just the beginning of our careers.

I would like to add, like someone else mentioned, focus on your education and build career. School sucks, a lot, but its necessary. Unless you want to be a business man and open up your own shop or something.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurkin
Hey guys!

I just wanted to update all of you, and let you know that I took the job at All in Garage as there shop manager, I can't wait to start working there!

Thanks for your advice, and even though it's a small business I hope, I will help it grow into something large and wonderful!

Mike

Just saw this thread. Take it from somebody who left the corporate world to do his own thing. Worth every pain, challenge and struggle. If you are doing it for the money you will likely fail rather than succeed. Do it for the love of the work and you will enjoy every day. Going in with some guys to make something is both foolish and courageous. My compliments to any fool who tries.

I left big bucks pension and comfort for thin margins and risky deals. But after 35 years of independence, high times and low, I wouldn't do it any different if given the chance. When you are and integral part of something it matters so much to your personal worth. maybe in dollars but always in pride.

Keep in mind,,,; No one can tell you that you didn't build this, not even the Guibmit.

Bon Chance'

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 11-16-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Keep in mind,,,; No one can tell you that you didn't build this, not even the Guibmit. Bon Chance'

Help me, Franc, tried to assimilate/lookup what this word is above, but cannot. What is 'Guibmit'???

Always looking to 'expand' my ever shrinking mind! LMAO.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Jeez George, it's a typo on a slang term.
Guibmit = Government, Franc meant to type 'Gubmint'

Old 11-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Jeez George, it's a typo on a slang term.
Guibmit = Government, Franc meant to type 'Gubmint'

Whew... George, you know I tried every just about every typo I could to fit in there but NEVER thought of a typo of a Bush-ism... LMAO!

You know, thinking about it further... I never even thought of Bush-isms... Its been too long since a Bush was in the WH, and am glad that didn't happen this...... errrrr, never mind don't want to get a sanction!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Whew... George, you know I tried every just about every typo I could to fit in there but NEVER thought of a typo of a Bush-ism... LMAO!

You know, thinking about it further... I never even thought of Bush-isms... Its been too long since a Bush was in the WH, and am glad that didn't happen this...... errrrr, never mind don't want to get a sanction!

Yea, I miss the old days when we got Bush-Wacked ......

Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yea, I miss the old days when we got Bush-Wacked ......
Could be worse life could get like a bad game of Euchre, no matter what you do you always get over trumped.
This is not a political statement, see the rules of Euchre in the book According to Hoyle.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:31 AM

I think a lot of people bid one no trump here, but more did not.
Such is the game of Bridge ......

Old 11-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurkin
Hey guys!

Mike
Make it your goal to become the President, no experience necessary, just say what people want to hear and you are in like Flynn. It has been done before.
This is sound career advice, excellent benefits, free housing, your choice of women. Failing that get a government job, little work and lots of perks and a good pension.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just be sure and avoid the drunken stoper and it's "your fault" syndrome when that sure thing falls through.. people will notice and make your next gig almost impossible..

Old 11-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Help me, Franc, tried to assimilate/lookup what this word is above, but cannot. What is 'Guibmit'???

Always looking to 'expand' my ever shrinking mind! LMAO.

Really?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:36 PM

Guibmint could perhaps have been spelled Goobmint

Now,,,;

Stop talking politics. Not allowed here.

That goes for you too 180.