Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 PM
oledoc2u
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Career Advice

Well....if you have any questions young man, just PM me and we can talk anytime. I had dual careers. Law Enforcement/Trucking. 35 yrs in LE, and I am still trucking w/ 43 yrs and counting. I have had other side businesses, and partners on some mechanical shops as well. Raced motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, even lawn mowers lol.... It pays to network with your friends. They know people, and can hook you up to try out a job, or learn a trade before you commit to it. But, as stated above, you need a plan. I don't believe in hopping from one job to another. I like to take time off, and spend time around the job I think I might want to do. I owned a backhoe as my uncles were in the ditching business. I would rent out or run the backhoe in my spare time. Either way the backhoe earned money. Did that with a skidsteer, commercial lawn mowers, and well, you get the picture. There are a lot of ways to make a living if you have the right connections. So network young man. Get to know the people that are doing what you think you may want to try. See if they will hire you part time to try it out. But don't bounce around too much. Employers today will look at that as a problem I am afraid.