Thread: Top Trouble
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Top Trouble

Originally Posted by jrhack

There was a statement in the owners manual about the Deck Lid becoming locked. It stated that releasing the Hydrallic pressure this would allow the top to operate again.
I think I see the paragraph you are talking about. I'm not so sure WHAT it is saying, but -- The Top Controller CAN get to where it becomes confused as to where in the cycle it is. I suspect this is due to an intermittent switch on some cylinder or a 12 volt bus glitch that confuses the controller.

In these cases, a manual lowering or raising of the top seems to 'get the controller back to where it knows what is going on'.. This has happened to me twice in seven years of owning three Roadsters. It happened to my first one and the one I drive now.

I can't say for sure what is going on with YOUR car, but I DO know I had indications my car's battery was getting questionable and I delayed in replacing it. THen, the top acted up - I replaced the battery the next day and never saw this again. That was in 2010. Just in the past six weeks, this car did the same thing - and I replaced the battery. I do'nt drive this one much but so far, no more trouble.

It REALLY sounds electrical and I'd caution you to take a look at battery terminals, the battery ground connection at the chassis and try to determine how old the battery is. I change mine at four years (tho like I said, this one I just changed was up to five years old, so even I don't obey my own rule).

Do not waste your time having the battery "tested", either change it or don't, it's up to you.