Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Other Area Attractions and Activities

What is there to do other than drive around all day?

We are so glad you asked. Last time, we went for a ride on a Lunch Train (best food of the trip for me!); we drove Outdoor Go-Karts (FINALLY a chance to run someone off the road without regard for what it will do to the car); went shopping in what has to be an almost magic place - old town Eureka Springs; met a local (who owns a Crossfire) and listened to some of his native American flute music and stories; many went to Branson, Missouri - either the days leading up to CAA6 or during the week of CAA6.

And FOOD! See, here is the thing. Chefs from all over come to Eureka Springs and either find work or start their own restaurant; they make a lot less money than say, in New York City - but they live so much cheaper. (I got this from a young waitress with the Railroad - her mother is their head chef). I do not think you can name a cuisine that you cant find in Eureka Springs, and anywhere I (Pizzaguy) went, I found the prices ranging from "reasonable" to what I'd call "Affordable Fine Dinning".

I should mention that there is a trolley car service that runs a maintained route and schedule all day long. Many stayed behind as we did our runs to take advantage of the shopping opportunities. Full information on their services can be found here: Eureka Springs Transit Welcome to Eureka Springs Transit

There are unique things to see, for example:

Thorncrown Glass Chapel

Thorncrown Glass Chapel ....... Only minutes from our hotel
Thorncrown Chapel Nestled in a woodland setting, Thorncrown Chapel rises forty-eight feet into the Ozark sky. This magnificent wooden structure contains 425 windows and over 6,000 square feet of glass. It sits atop over 100 tons of native stone and colored flagstone, making it blend perfectly with its setting. The chapel's simple design and majestic beauty combine to make it what critics have called "one of the finest religious spaces of modern times."

Since the chapel opened in 1980, over six million people have visited this woodland sanctuary. Designed by renowned architect E. Fay Jones, Thorncrown has won numerous architectural awards such as the American Institute of Architects’ Design of the Year Award for 1981 and AIA’s prestigious 25 Year Award. Recently, members of the American Institute of Architects placed Thorncrown Chapel fourth on its list of the top buildings of the twentieth century.

Thorncrown Chapel is located on Highway 62 West just outside of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. There is no admission fee, but donations are accepted. We have ample parking for buses and RVs. So, while in the Ozarks, stop by what many have called one of the most beautiful and inspiring chapels in the world.

And this looks like a full day's experience:

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Home - Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

About Crystal Bridges: The mission of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is to welcome all to celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the power of art with the beauty of nature. Crystal Bridges takes its name from a nearby natural spring and the bridge construction incorporated in the building, designed by world-renowned architect Moshe Safdie.

A series of pavilions nestled around two spring-fed ponds house galleries, meeting and classroom spaces, and a large, glass-enclosed gathering hall. Guest amenities include a restaurant on a glass-enclosed bridge overlooking the ponds, a Museum Store designed by architect Marlon Blackwell, and a library featuring more than 50,000 volumes of art reference material.

Sculpture and walking trails link the Museum's 120-acre park to downtown Bentonville, Arkansas.

I'd never heard of it before either:

The Arkansas Grand Canyon

Arkansas Has A Beautiful Grand Canyon

"Who knew Arkansas had a Grand Canyon? While it may not be as deep as the one out West, the canyon here in the Natural State offers some truly breathtaking views. It’s located along gorgeous Scenic Byway 7 and is only a few miles from the town of Jasper. Along Scenic Byway 7 you’ll find places to pull off the road and gaze out at the vast Big Creek Valley. There’s also a lookout tower and spots where you can book a stay. For a map to this awe-inspiring locale, click this link."

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-01-2017 at 10:04 AM.