View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Jjtow007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: blinking fuel light check engine

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I'll save Dave some typing and answer this :
It is the evap purge solenoid.
The PTCM commands it to open the vacuum line to the fuel system upon engine startup to create a slight vacuum in the system.
The PTCM then monitors to see how long it takes for the system to return to ambient pressure.
If that time is shorter than it expects, then it decides that there must be a leak somewhere and flashes that light and sets that P code just to ruin your day.
( not too sure about it flashing the indicator, but I do know it sets the P code )

It is not a catastrophic condition, other than the EPA may arrest you for over polluting and lock you up for life + 100 years.
YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for this info!!!!!!! The humor was much appreciated too! It did kinda ruin my day when the light came on lol..
one more tiny question -do u think the unit off the clip it sits on would cause a problem? (Illustrated in the pic in the thread)?

good news is after putting it back and traveling back to work the check engine light has shut back off.. since I had a problem w the gas light blinking before the hubby carelessly knocked it off its seat I replaced the gas cap and put some 'Sea Foam' in the gas tank, so am not sure if reseating it helped or if the gas cap did, but after your wonderfully descriptive note I'm thinking reseating it did... your thoughts?

hapoy Valentine's Day btw!