Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

blinking fuel light check engine

Old 10-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinking fuel light check engine

I have read the other posts of people with the infamous blinking fuel light and check engine P0455 code, I have been trying to get this issue resolved with my dealer for months and so many visits. The posts are inconclusive as to how to solve or what the problem is. Can anyone lead back to the days where my dash was not a glow in error lights. They can't find what the cause is, they just reset the codes...your input is much appreciated. Please help.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Default Re: blinking fuel light check engine

Crossfire forum don't let me down, I am running out of warranty on the 2005 limited christmas tree edition. Please add your 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 PM

So my fuel light started blinking about three months ago often on, usually when it hits the halfway mark in the fuel tank, although not every time – it stops when I turn the engine off and back on again, my husband changed eight of my 12 spark plugs last night and on my way to work – I drive an hour and a half – the engine light came on P0455 code .. I replaced the gas cap, engine light is still on, and the gas light blink again just a few minutes ago. Any ideas of what to check next? Does anybody have any results of what worked for them… I am going to check the vacuum hoses when I get there ..

Old 02-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Manual says :
(P0455) EVAP SYSTEM LARGE LEAK
² When Monitored: Engine Running. Cold start test. Fuel Level greater than 12%, ambient temperature
between 4°C and 32°C (39°F and 89°F), closed loop system operation. Test runs when small leak test is
maturing.
² Set Condition: The PCM activates the EVAP Purge Solenoid to pull the EVAP system into a vacuum. The
PCM turns the EVAP Purge solenoid off to seal the EVAP system. If the fuel tank pressure sensor reads
normal operating pressure sooner than expected, a Large Leak error is detected.
I would suspect a deteriorated hose somewhere since you have already replaced the gas cap. .....

( And welcome to the forum )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjtow007
So my fuel light started blinking about three months ago often on, usually when it hits the halfway mark in the fuel tank, although not every time – it stops when I turn the engine off and back on again, my husband changed eight of my 12 spark plugs last night and on my way to work – I drive an hour and a half – the engine light came on P0455 code .. I replaced the gas cap, engine light is still on, and the gas light blink again just a few minutes ago. Any ideas of what to check next? Does anybody have any results of what worked for them… I am going to check the vacuum hoses when I get there ..
I suspect the fuel level sending unit is faulty, the light should only come on when there is about two gallons left in the tank.

When changing the plugs did he damage the solenoid
or the hoses going to the solenoid just in front of the brake master cylinder?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I suspect the fuel level sending unit is faulty, the light should only come on when there is about two gallons left in the tank.

When changing the plugs did he damage the solenoid
or the hoses going to the solenoid just in front of the brake master cylinder?
not to my knowledge although there was a little thing that goes on a clip to keep it from vibrating that was off.. (will try to include pic), but keep in mind the blinking gas light happens to other Crossfire users at half a tank too-unless these units go out frequently.. on this forum-and it seems a gas cap helped them.. See the clip to the left of the photo? It goes on that but was off when he pulled off the cover last night.. don't know if it has anything to do w it tho..

Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM

not to my knowledge although there was a little thing that goes on a clip to keep it from vibrating that was off.. (will try to include pic), but keep in mind the blinking gas light happens to other Crossfire users at half a tank too-unless these units go out frequently.. on this forum-and it seems a gas cap helped them.. See the clip to the left of the photo? It goes on that but was off when he pulled off the cover last night.. don't know if it has anything to do w it tho..
That is the part I was talking about.
I have been on here for ages and the blinking light has not been a problem, it flashes when the fuel is low. The OP says the infamous flashing light, how he came up with that statement I have no idea.
I cannot remember any other posts on the subject.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM

That is the part I was talking about.
I have been on here for ages and the blinking light has not been a problem, it flashes when the fuel is low. The OP says the infamous flashing light, how he came up with that statement I have no idea.
I cannot remember any other posts on the subject.
Would it have malfunctioned from not being mounted on the clip? It drove fine to work this morning-it's a 65 mile drive so that's significant-on the way home last night the gas light blinked at least 3 times (I shut the engine off to reset it). Am going at lunch to have Auto Zone run the codes again in hopes it will reset then.. can u tell me what this part does? Thanks for your feedback btw!

Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

can u tell me what this part does?
I'll save Dave some typing and answer this :
It is the evap purge solenoid.
The PTCM commands it to open the vacuum line to the fuel system upon engine startup to create a slight vacuum in the system.
The PTCM then monitors to see how long it takes for the system to return to ambient pressure.
If that time is shorter than it expects, then it decides that there must be a leak somewhere and flashes that light and sets that P code just to ruin your day.
( not too sure about it flashing the indicator, but I do know it sets the P code )

It is not a catastrophic condition, other than the EPA may arrest you for over polluting and lock you up for life + 100 years.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-14-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM

Would it have malfunctioned from not being mounted on the clip? It drove fine to work this morning-it's a 65 mile drive so that's significant-on the way home last night the gas light blinked at least 3 times (I shut the engine off to reset it). Am going at lunch to have Auto Zone run the codes again in hopes it will reset then.. can u tell me what this part does? Thanks for your feedback btw!
I believe that controls the EVAP system, nothing to do with the flashing light unless it monitors the EVAP system as well.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I'll save Dave some typing and answer this :
It is the evap purge solenoid.
The PTCM commands it to open the vacuum line to the fuel system upon engine startup to create a slight vacuum in the system.
The PTCM then monitors to see how long it takes for the system to return to ambient pressure.
If that time is shorter than it expects, then it decides that there must be a leak somewhere and flashes that light and sets that P code just to ruin your day.
( not too sure about it flashing the indicator, but I do know it sets the P code )

It is not a catastrophic condition, other than the EPA may arrest you for over polluting and lock you up for life + 100 years.
YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for this info!!!!!!! The humor was much appreciated too! It did kinda ruin my day when the light came on lol..
one more tiny question -do u think the unit off the clip it sits on would cause a problem? (Illustrated in the pic in the thread)?

good news is after putting it back and traveling back to work the check engine light has shut back off.. since I had a problem w the gas light blinking before the hubby carelessly knocked it off its seat I replaced the gas cap and put some 'Sea Foam' in the gas tank, so am not sure if reseating it helped or if the gas cap did, but after your wonderfully descriptive note I'm thinking reseating it did... your thoughts?

hapoy Valentine's Day btw!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 PM

I believe that controls the EVAP system, nothing to do with the flashing light unless it monitors the EVAP system as well.
yes the blinking gas light (it's solid if indicating low fuel) is usually indicative of EPAP rather than pointing toward low fuel or faulty sending unit for the gas level.. at least for the Crossfire's.. if you google 'Chrysler Crossfire blinking gas light' you will see what I mean-to most people (who commented about it online anyway), it happens at the half full mark most often and doesn't usually cause the P0455 code-u simply turn the engine off and on and it stops-replacing the cap helped some people-but some think it has to do w the pressure left in the tank at the halfway point since it's always then that it happens...

Old 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM

So do u think it not being mounted correctly could cause the error code (P0455)?? I guess I'm just wanting reassurance it was caused by that-seems like it wouldn't have caused it just from not sitting correctly, but then again too much of a coincidence that that is what the entire function of it is, that's the code firing, corrected once seated back correctly..

Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 PM

So do u think it not being mounted correctly could cause the error code (P0455)?? I guess I'm just wanting reassurance it was caused by that-seems like it wouldn't have caused it just from not sitting correctly, but then again too much of a coincidence that that is what the entire function of it is, that's the code firing, corrected once seated back correctly..
Not caused by the unmounted state but a problem in the system somewhere.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Not caused by the unmounted state but a problem in the system somewhere.
are you sure? After re-mounting it the problem went away.. I also replaced the gas cap and added some 'sea foam' to the tank but the gas light was blinking the whole way home anyway after doing those two things-once I got home my husband re-mounted the selenoid, I didn't drive it til the next morning, after my hour and a halfback commute the check engine light went out.. in inclined to think re-mounting it fixed the problem, primarily because adding the new gas cap and the sea foam didn't affect a difference with the blinking gas light, or he check engine light, only after remounting it did those two things resolve themselves.. thank you so much for the feedback by the way!!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 PM

are you sure? After re-mounting it the problem went away.. I also replaced the gas cap and added some 'sea foam' to the tank but the gas light was blinking the whole way home anyway after doing those two things-once I got home my husband re-mounted the selenoid, I didn't drive it til the next morning, after my hour and a halfback commute the check engine light went out.. in inclined to think re-mounting it fixed the problem, primarily because adding the new gas cap and the sea foam didn't affect a difference with the blinking gas light, or he check engine light, only after remounting it did those two things resolve themselves.. thank you so much for the feedback by the way!!
well, you were right it seems – on the way home the gaslight began to blank at the half way mark and the check engine light came on shortly there after… Stopped by AutoZone, and it's pulling the same P0455 code.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you fill the tank full do you stop filling when the pump clicks off or do you try to squeeze a little more in?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by robby363
When you fill the tank full do you stop filling when the pump clicks off or do you try to squeeze a little more in?
Our gas tanks have a valve that prevents over filling, excess gas will overflow, see attachment.
If that valve fails well ......that's another story.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel Tank.pdf (203.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-15-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by robby363
I don't ever try to get more gas in incentive full, and rarely full it all the way up either-it's probably been a month or two since I filled the tank completely full... thanks for the PDF though, informative! Have the selenoid (the parts store called it a canister purge valve) ordered-will try that Monday.. I am thinking that that is what it is, because when I found it on mounted – when this problem started a couple of days ago – it didn't correct the problem for a little bit to remount it… Plus from what I understand there is only one other thing to try – and that's $450 – the vaper tank itself..I have already replaced the gas cap as well as put some seafoam in the tank… from what I understand it does not hurt it to drive it like this? I have to have that check engine light off though, I need to have my car inspected in the next couple of days.also I have a headlight out, and it's not the headlight lamp that it's got to be the wiring as I don't have power to the low beam on the left side so I have to have both of these issues resolved to have it inspected so that I can renew my tag by the end of this month, so I'm running out of time

Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 AM

EDITED:
I don't ever try to get more gas in once it is full, and rarely fill it all the way up either-it's probably been a month or two since I filled the tank completely full... thanks for the PDF though, informative! Have the selenoid (the parts store called it a canister purge valve) ordered-will try that Monday.. I am thinking that that is what it is, because when I found it unmounted – when this problem started a couple of days ago – it did correct the problem for a little bit to remount it… Plus from what I understand there is only one other thing to try – and that's $450 – the vaper tank itself..I have already replaced the gas cap as well as put some seafoam in the tank… from what I understand it does not hurt it to drive it like this? I have to have that check engine light off though, I need to have my car inspected in the next couple of days.also I have a headlight out, and it's not the headlight lamp that it's got to be the wiring as I don't have power to the low beam on the left side so I have to have both of these issues resolved to have it inspected so that I can renew my tag by the end of this month, so I'm running out of time
hoping replacing the purge valve fixes it!!

Quick Reply: blinking fuel light check engine