View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 07:17 PM
woody
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why would you buy a Xfr Coupe

Originally Posted by bollox
I am sorry but I just do not get it. I am still massively in love my xfr roadster. Everything about the roadster I love but I just do not understand why anyone would ever want to buy a crossfire coupe. The Coupe is completely non practical (two seater and hard top and shoddy performance ... does not even take golf clubs) (SRT exception) for the same money you could buy something with hard top and is more practical and that has some serious performance (including space for golf clubs)…

Maybe I have missed something but the Coupe seems to me to be a WOMBAT (Waste of Money Brains and Time). Why would anyone invest in this when they could have bought the roadster.

Never saw an SLK that was not convertible.
Well for me I wanted a Crossfire as soon as I saw the original concept, and that was a coupe. I hadn't even considered that there may be a roadster some day. To me the Roadster is still a very stunning looking car, but it is a styling derivative of a pure concept. Most of the styling cues, like the centre spine and the aero tail have been diluted if not completely eliminated. (I am not referring to the misguided view that the Roadster is a roof chop job of an original hardtop, since the SLK platform has always been conceived as a convertible). I actually liked the idea that the Coupe was based on a convertible platform giving it a superb rigidity, which means the suspension works properly. It is also lighter than the Roadster too, which, in theory at least, means the performance is better. But then I am not really a big fan of modern convertibles as performance cars anyway - they are weighed down with unnecessary stuff like electric roofs.

I would disagree regarding the Coupe's practicality; compared with the Roadster there is acres of luggage space. The sales guy actually offered me a ex-demo Roadster for the same money as a new Coupe. I did consider it since I do love convertibles, but for me it was completely impractical as I regularly carry lots of kit around and at a push if I take the bars off I can get my MTB in the back. For my open top kicks I stick with my Fiat Spider, which I personally think is just as stylish as a Roadster in its own way - and still more practical.

After all that, I hope your back's on the mend and you have been able to enjoy the Roadster in the recent heat wave.