Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Why would you buy a Xfr Coupe

Old 07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you buy a Xfr Coupe

I am sorry but I just do not get it. I am still massively in love my xfr roadster. Everything about the roadster I love but I just do not understand why anyone would ever want to buy a crossfire coupe. The Coupe is completely non practical (two seater and hard top and shoddy performance ... does not even take golf clubs) (SRT exception) for the same money you could buy something with hard top and is more practical and that has some serious performance (including space for golf clubs)…

Maybe I have missed something but the Coupe seems to me to be a WOMBAT (Waste of Money Brains and Time). Why would anyone invest in this when they could have bought the roadster.

Never saw an SLK that was not convertible.

Last edited by bollox; 07-23-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Why would you buy a Xfr Coupe

When did practical have anything to do with buying a crossfire. If that is your criteria you are buying the wrong car. I would guess just like with other two seaters I have owned, Thunderbird, Boxster, XLR, corvette, most owners own more than one car.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

The first answer to that rather rude question would be: Thousands of us bought the 2004 XF. There was no such thing as a roadster then. We loved our cars before you even knew about them probably.

Also - impractical??? The coupe holds the luggage, an ice chest, jackets - plenty of things for a week trip EASILY. I believe it also fits golf clubs - although I have not tried that. Let's see your trunk hold as much as the coupe's does.

I won't be rude enough to give you my second answer.

Last edited by EEHOA; 07-23-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, that question took me aback. I've had a roadster for 17 years, enjoying top down driving at it's best. BTW, I just sold it today.

Anyway, when I saw the coupe, I fell in love with the WAY IT LOOKS first. Then, I drove one and still loved it.

It has a LOT of trunk space, too. The roadster does not. My former roadster had a lot more trunk space that does the XF Roadster.

For being a CF owner yourself, albeit the roadster, your question sounded rude. Aren't we all part of the Crossfire community? We have our reasons for buying what we did. A lot of people here bought their coupe BEFORE the roadster even appeared on the scene.

Enjoy your roadster and the coupe people can enjoy theirs. Different strokes for different folks as the old saying goes.

Last edited by Cissy; 07-23-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(1) the roadster wasn't out when i bought my coupe.
(3) the roadster got a butt-ugly rear end (sorry Liz).
(2) i was trading in a Miata for it, so i know all about open top 2-seaters.

have you seen a coupe from the rear? its got such a nice roof line and continues down to the bumper. nice double bubble @$$ your roadster has.

and PRACTICAL?? have you seen your roadster's TRUNK???

Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 PM

My clubs fit just fine in the back of my coupe thank you!

Old 07-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

xf roadster's look alot more feminine in my opinion, just don't have any masculine lines, if it was a hardtop convertible i would have got one, but the soft top looks cheap much like a miata (imho).

i honestly almost got a roadster, but looked at the profile and rear and realized it wasn't for me...well neither is the coupe really, thats why im trying to sell it to purchase, an '01 rt/10 viper, '05 slk 350, or an srt-6 coupe (of course).

you wanted my answer, and their it is.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally speaking, 4 reasons why I bought a coupe.

First and most importantly, I prefer the looks of the coupe with its more exaggerated boat-tail. The roadster looks fine, but I like the coupe better.

Second, I'm also not much of a convertible guy. The Florida sun really beats down on you and you never know when the clouds will open up...

Third, ever since owning a convertible many years ago and having it slashed for easy access to the interior two times. I'm leery of convertibles for security reasons.

Fourth, reduced road noise.

By the way, I could be wrong, but I believe the coupe has considerably more trunk capacity than the roadster.

On a final note, I take exception to the manner in which this question was raised. Calling my car a Waste of Money Brains and Time is as insulting as it is ignorant. Beyond the obvious, the differences between the roadster and the coupe are nominal.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:54 PM

Some people do not like hard top convertibles, which is why I never bought an SLK. I drive my truck when I go golfing. The shoddy performance of my Coupe is the same as the roadster. I have also owned 2 seat convertibles before and that is why I chose the coupe. Also please remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Crossfire Roadster is butt ugly, but I would not tell you that you are stupid and wasting time and money because you bought a roadster.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

I really enjoy my '04 Coupe. I get many compliments as others do. I like the looks of the back end. It either looks like a Jaguar XKE or a hamster. Either description is fine by me cause I love it. It is my second car but I drive it when ever I can. I have put 5,000 miles on mine in less than 3 months!

Old 07-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zrdstr3
Some people do not like hard top convertibles, which is why I never bought an SLK. I drive my truck when I go golfing. The shoddy performance of my Coupe is the same as the roadster. I have also owned 2 seat convertibles before and that is why I chose the coupe. Also please remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Crossfire Roadster is butt ugly, but I would not tell you that you are stupid and wasting time and money because you bought a roadster.
hahaha

Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I also own a Firebird Convertible no need for another.

I don't think the Crossfire has shotty performance, infact I enjoyed it better than the Corvette I test drove before I bought my Crossfire. The Corvette was just too wide for me.

I also didn't want the wind noise you get when you own a roadster.
but alas, to each his/her own.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by bollox
I am sorry but I just do not get it. I am still massively in love my xfr roadster. Everything about the roadster I love but I just do not understand why anyone would ever want to buy a crossfire coupe. The Coupe is completely non practical (two seater and hard top and shoddy performance ... does not even take golf clubs) (SRT exception) for the same money you could buy something with hard top and is more practical and that has some serious performance (including space for golf clubs)…

Maybe I have missed something but the Coupe seems to me to be a WOMBAT (Waste of Money Brains and Time). Why would anyone invest in this when they could have bought the roadster.

Well for me I wanted a Crossfire as soon as I saw the original concept, and that was a coupe. I hadn't even considered that there may be a roadster some day. To me the Roadster is still a very stunning looking car, but it is a styling derivative of a pure concept. Most of the styling cues, like the centre spine and the aero tail have been diluted if not completely eliminated. (I am not referring to the misguided view that the Roadster is a roof chop job of an original hardtop, since the SLK platform has always been conceived as a convertible). I actually liked the idea that the Coupe was based on a convertible platform giving it a superb rigidity, which means the suspension works properly. It is also lighter than the Roadster too, which, in theory at least, means the performance is better. But then I am not really a big fan of modern convertibles as performance cars anyway - they are weighed down with unnecessary stuff like electric roofs.

I would disagree regarding the Coupe's practicality; compared with the Roadster there is acres of luggage space. The sales guy actually offered me a ex-demo Roadster for the same money as a new Coupe. I did consider it since I do love convertibles, but for me it was completely impractical as I regularly carry lots of kit around and at a push if I take the bars off I can get my MTB in the back. For my open top kicks I stick with my Fiat Spider, which I personally think is just as stylish as a Roadster in its own way - and still more practical.

After all that, I hope your back's on the mend and you have been able to enjoy the Roadster in the recent heat wave.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Well for me I wanted a Crossfire as soon as I saw the original concept, and that was a coupe. I hadn't even considered that there may be a roadster some day. To me the Roadster is still a very stunning looking car, but it is a styling derivative of a pure concept. Most of the styling cues, like the centre spine and the aero tail have been diluted if not completely eliminated. (I am not referring to the misguided view that the Roadster is a roof chop job of an original hardtop, since the SLK platform has always been conceived as a convertible). I actually liked the idea that the Coupe was based on a convertible platform giving it a superb rigidity, which means the suspension works properly. It is also lighter than the Roadster too, which, in theory at least, means the performance is better. But then I am not really a big fan of modern convertibles as performance cars anyway - they are weighed down with unnecessary stuff like electric roofs.

I would disagree regarding the Coupe's practicality; compared with the Roadster there is acres of luggage space. The sales guy actually offered me a ex-demo Roadster for the same money as a new Coupe. I did consider it since I do love convertibles, but for me it was completely impractical as I regularly carry lots of kit around and at a push if I take the bars off I can get my MTB in the back. For my open top kicks I stick with my Fiat Spider, which I personally think is just as stylish as a Roadster in its own way - and still more practical.

After all that, I hope your back's on the mend and you have been able to enjoy the Roadster in the recent heat wave.
On the Concept. Do you remember how they had the split front window and the headlights were stacked instead of side by side not to mention a more stingrayish rear end.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
On the Concept. Do you remember how they had the split front window and the headlights were stacked instead of side by side not to mention a more stingrayish rear end.
Yep, but I wasn't too disappointed with the production version. I think they kept as much of the original concept as was practical given the available platform and the various worldwide market regulatory requirements; I was impressed that they built anything at all! Most manufacturers wow us with all sorts of concept cars that never materialize in ANY shape or form, let alone one close to the original. It would have been fantastic if the production Crossfire was exactly like the concept but it simply is not possible meet all the lighting, bumper height, safety testing requirements for a production vehicle in all its intended markets. I have toyed with the idea of making some front and rear moldings to more closely resemble the original (posted here somewhere, some time ago). But its alot of work and probably not worth the time and money.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:04 PM

What the f^^^ kind of statement/question is that!

Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Just remember the Crossfire was meant to be a coupe. That is how it came about. Then they took the best looking automobile on the road and made it into a roadster a close second.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I have missed something but the Coupe seems to me to be a WOMBAT (Waist of Money Brains and Time). Why would anyone invest in this when they could have bought the roadster.

OK I'll add my .02...
Convertibles are for pretty girls...

And I am not one.

That should stir the pot.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Forum Regular

1) price.
2) possible skid pad numbers + body rigidity.
3) convertibles are great for women and old people.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

bollox: What are you doing Brother? Looks to me like you are trying to start a fire on the forum by baiting people...
I think you are attempting to split the forum, and that is not a good thing... I had no idea you would ever try anything like this... Therefore, instead of beating up on my fellow Crossfire owners I'll knock you around...

My advice to the forum: do not post to this thread, it is no more then an attempt to split our forum... This image says it all... hooah

Quick Reply: Why would you buy a Xfr Coupe