View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Valve cover repeated failure

Yea, you are not getting the problem fixed properly by someone that cares about your car. IOW, fix it yourself!

No, I'm serious. Get some brother-in-law that likes working on cars and buy him a case of beer or whatever and let him fix it. MANY of us have had to fix ours more than once - and I learned from that observation.

So, when mine started to leak oil like an old British Motorcycle, I read thru the threads on the fixes and observed that if you really do it right and take care in what you are doing, you CAN fix it once and (pretty much, I guess, for all.

My saga starts at post 221 or so:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...over-leak.html

Now, if your VALVE COVER GASKETS are where the oil is leaking, I'd be surprised. It's the seal between the BREATHERS and the VALVE COVERS. But most just reseal the breather to the valve cover - I think this is a mistake.

I tore the entire assemblies off and separated the halves while off the engine (it was NOT as hard as some say it was for them, maybe I was lucky). I then dissolved the old RTV with my crude "toothbrush dipped in Gasoline" technique. I then cleaned all parts with Purple Power.

I emphasize this: Let stuff dry out overnight, put the stuff in front of the heating vent or A/C (don't worry, Purple Power will clean off any residual gasoline).

THEN follow the recommended procedure (see Max's posts) and spread the RTV carefullly, assemble the halves and finger tigten the bolts holding them together. Wait 1/2 hour. Tighten bolts to spec.

Now, LET THE ASSEMBLES SIT, I let them sit over a weekend but at least overnight.

Put everything back on the engine and it's over. Mine have been fine for well over a year now - not a DROP, no seeping, NOTHING, ever since.