View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Jeffrey J.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clear coat failure around the windshield

My 04 has done the same thing.....maybe worse. Every piece of exterior silver trim, with the exception of the rims (they were manufactured in a separate plant), has been peeling on the top sides exposed to the sun and weather.....windshield trim, grill (not the grey, just the silver trim), top of door handles, and top of side strakes. Once it starts, it just keeps growing. 99.9% certain that not all the exterior trim would have been "repainted" out of the factory, maybe they were done on a Monday or late Friday?? The "fish eye" marks on the window trim in the original post are most likely small rock chips that have started the clear coat lifting process.....it all starts with one little spot where some contamination can get beneath the clear.....man I hate clear coats....they're for lazy people who can't or don't know how to take care of a car....same people lined up at the automatic car wash. Anyhow, Dupli-color has an exact match to the silver trim in an 8oz, rattle can, however it does require a clear coat. Chrysler factory paint code is PS2 Bright Silver Metallic, Dupli-color number is BCC0410 (replaced DSCC410/T363) and it matched perfectly!! It's also the same paint code for the interior console trim if anyone needs some touchup there. I believe Amazon sells a muti-pack of both the silver and the clear as a package deal.