Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM
ursula2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by drhrsh
James, the symptom is a sticky key, that is you go to turn the key to start the car and it doesn't turn. Then you turn the steering wheel this way and that and finally after 10 attempts the key turns and your car starts! Others have thought it was just the tumblers, and/or lubrication of them. The real problem is in the steering lock mechanism housed inside the assembly I removed. Apparently a plastic cam inside wears down preventing the locking pin from retracting. The modification suggested by others eliminates the steering lock, so when the car is turned off and key is removed you can still turn the steering wheel. I decided to just replace the unit with a new one.
So what did you replace? The housing/ locking unit, or tumbler? I'm looking on the mboemparts.com and there's a locking/ housing unit then the tumbler? Is the tumbler just a generic part or is it specified to vin? Did you get a new key too? I read on the slk forum they replaced the switch as well? Also what key indicator sensor we're you talking about?
thanks!