Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: car radio with NAV blocks my garmin gps signal

Originally Posted by bhindzioncurtain
When I bought the car I never had a problem with the gps getting satellite signal, of course I always had the radio on when I was driving somewhere. About two months ago I got to work early and played around with the radio/NAV and must have turned something on. Don't use my Garmin Nuvi that much but now when I try to use it I have to turn off the radio for it to get reception.
Anyone know what is going on? It is definitely the radio because when I turn it off, the GPS works fine and the minute I turn the radio on, it loses signal.
I gotta tell ya, this is an odd one. Your NAV head does not transmit any signal, neither does your Garmin, they both simply listen to the 1.5 gHz signal from the sky.

Each receiver's local oscillator will radiate a TINY amount, but I can't see that radiation being enough to cause the mixer in either to mask.

I'd REALLY like to see a demo of this. I"m sitting in the lunchroom with the former head of R&D who holds a Master's in EE and has several RF-related patents on antenna design and when I described this one to him, he looked like I felt: "What the hell????"...................

Just to be clear: You refer to the "radio/NAV" - is this unit the factory one or an aftermarket replacement?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-07-2018 at 01:09 PM.