View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 PM
32er
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: intake manifolds

I don’t understand the gains on low rpms – has anybody a theory?

Fascinated by the drop of pressure level, I read some papers and tried to understand the physics behind the phenomenon. So in the meantime I think I understand the performance gain on the top end: PICTURE

You can see an operating line depending on the sc-map and the assosiated engine suction lines.

In stock you have a more then 3 psi (0.2 bar) higher pressure then nessessary because of the Y construction – no pressure equalisation and way to small dimensioned (15 cm² - one feed). With the crossovers you always feed from 2 sides steadily (50 cm²). (… so the dynamic pressure drops the same as the operating pressure.)

The 3 psi pressure drop on max rpm on a stock car gives you 10 kW (… less supercharger loss) and additionally maybe 1% more volume flow. The pressure drop on lower rpms is far less – because the pressure drop depends mathematically on the square of the volume flow.

Look on the map – 10 kW gain on max rpm; less then 5 kW at 5000 rpm – you can’t find appreciable gains below according the sc map.

So back to my question – many of you tell about the gain on low rpms. How does that work together - the facts: With the crossover you feed far more constant. When with stock imf an inlet valve opens you have a higher initial pressure which drops fast (change from 1 to 2 feed) – maybe you have in stock version more oscillating air that matters – most properly you loose some fresh air to the exhaust? What do you think?

Attached Images  

Last edited by 32er; 03-16-2018 at 05:17 PM.