View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Fla_Xfire_SRT
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Clear coat failure around the windshield

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
The factory clear coat paint around my windshield looks worse than yours. Squirrel Crusher
~ Mine is as well only on the black srt though, the two ssb's are holding up well. I went to the paint store today to try to have them match up the silver surround color with their digital color reader that accounts for fade. They came back with some Honda color - nh614m ..Axalta(dupont) number 4030761EC to use as a one step aerosol at 18.00 a can. I did not order it yet because I wanted to check the forum here and see what 'yall are using for those of you that have painted yours back to silver. I have read the horror stories about re-attaching the plastic after removal and have decided that my taping skills are good enough to tape it off and mask the rest of the car off and paint it in place. I'll skip the door handles for now, but they need paint too, the surround looks like A$$ so I have to get on it right away. The two SSB's clearcoats are nice on the silver but the Rescue SSB has severe clearcoat failure near the wing on the hatch lid. Dodge had this problem years ago on many of their cars. It looks like they would have solved it by now (2005), unless it is based on a bonding / time issue which could affect any paint job no matter what brand of paint or clearcoat.

So, my 2cents on the clearcoat issue...IF it looks exactly like they waited too long between coats, .. perhaps the "factory" waited too long between the paint coat and the clearcoat when it was originally painted.

P.S. There is no Specific forum category here that I could find for Paint and Body work on our cars.