Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Kurtp13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does anyone have a way to fill in the hold left from my cupholder?

I finished this level of my 3D printed bin and it came out reasonably well. There were some things that I scaled from a photograph and because of that some dimensions were off. A bit more off than I would like to admit actually. But I had the opening dimensions so that was the critical dimension to meet. My retainer tabs are too high by about 5 mm. So instead of snapping over the lower edge of the top panel, I had to cut them down and now they provide an interference fit.

I also mentioned before that I made one inadvertently about 20 mm more shallow than the production bin. So that's a spare right now. I will send it to anyone that wants it if you send an envelope mailer to send back to you. Just message me and it's yours. It will fill the hole and looks good, but it is not as deep as a real one. You should be able to see the difference in the photograph or the screen grabs.

Next I want to try to make a deeper one (and adjust the tab height). There is a lot of room under the bin. I would like my phone to fit almost flush so that it's out of the way. I would change the base and round the inside corners so that any coins trapped on the bottom could be dragged up and out. I was well on my way but trying to modify my original design model I created some inconsistent geometry and couldn't finish it.

Production depth storage bin

20 MM shorter than production depth