Old 07-08-2018, 03:53 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: tinking in motor till car warms up completely Chrysler Crossfire

Originally Posted by CapnRon
When was the last time you changed the water pump...? I can't hear yours obviously... but that description fits inline with how I would describe noise that ended up being the water pump when I thought it was the motor ticking. In essence... the water pump ticking the way it is all connected can indeed sound like the motor ticking. It also went away after driving it a bit it seemed. Was stoked to replace the water pump and realize it wasn't the motor. Just a thought.
And a good thought.

My car has started an odd noise when cold. Sounds to me like a bad rod, or a rod running without oil. Once the water gets to about 180F, the engine sounds fine.

Yesterday, I put an oil pressure gauge on the car (which is how I messed my back up). The numbers I am seeing are consistent with the oil pressure numbers I saw on the two other Crossfires I've owned. So at least I know I don't need a new oil pump or oil pickup...

My next move:

Once my back heals,

1) I will start the car cold and observe the noise.

2) I will then shut the car off, take off the belt and restart the car.

3A) If the noise is still there, I know it is internal.
3B) If the noise is gone, I will put the belt back on and if the noise comes back, it's in a pulley or bearing outside the engine.

I suggest this as your next diagnostic step, Perry. Let us know what you find.