View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM
latemodel21
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Pulley exploded?

Originally Posted by MoCross
Hi Chris,

I tried to measure the crank pulley and it looked like 181. I did order the PSK 181/with smaller SC Pulley.

I got the PSK kit and took out the fan and everything was going reasonable well, but the new belt just wasn't long enough.. So I switched out the new 100mm pulley on the tensioner pulley back for the stock 90mm pulley and the belt just barely fit now.

So apparently my "looks like" 181 was actually 185 and i'm running 185/65.. yikes...

Well the belt looks nice and tight, we'll see how it goes. But I'm pretty sure I see the Pierburg fuel pump and high flow filter with a tune in my future at a minimum and maybe the 550 injectors..

I don't really enjoy the "mechanic" part.. but i'm sure i'll enjoy the speed.

Thanks again
Opinions may vary, but considering the extreme boost levels your engine will see with that combo, I feel strongly that you should add some monitoring (boost, A/F ratio, IAT, etc). And, I can't imagine the scenario where your injectors are not already going static (already functionally at 100% duty cycle). Seems like I have asked twice now about your elevation ... this is a factor in your cars ability to provide enough fuel with the stock set up ....

I also think that you should become significantly more familiar with your car (in terms of mods done by previous owners that you were/are surprisingly unaware of) .

These engines are fairly bullet-proof, but they are not indestructible. Common ways to break this engine is to run it with insufficient fuel or too much advance (for given boost level) ...AND, it would be a shame to have to change a head gasket or replace a "holed" piston, etc. Not trying to cast a shadow on this project, just pointing out that it is far more efficient to be careful on your first motor (as opposed to the second).

Sounds like a fun ride ...
Chris