View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 PM
petez Racing
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT Track / 3,000 mile review

XF'rs
I now can finally give a complete review of my SRT after hitting the 3,000 mile mark.
Daily in city driving the car is awesome, not only is the Crossfire a good looking, fun car but it will mess with most any car that runs you at a stop light.

I have been displeased with the control the computer has over the auto stick shifting. My thought is simple I want to shift NOW so let me.

Yesterday was open track @ Sandia Motorsport and my SRT preformed at an incredible level. I now fully understand and appreciate the auto stick shifting and how well tuned the computer is when the car is used in a road course environment.
I have many hours of track time @ Sandia Motor Sport in my 366 H.P. race 240Z (2,300 LBS) my best time for the 1.7 mile course is 1 minute 37.6 seconds. Full on race cars are running 1 minute 29 seconds. The Z has a five speed manual tranny and I thought I would miss it, I did not!!
My best time around the track in my XF with a spare set of stock Michelin Pilot Sports was 1 minute 43 seconds. For a stock car with stock tires everyone was very impressed.

I played with the auto stick and determined the engineers nailed the shift points and finally left the car in drive and focused on driving. I was apprehensive about the recalculating ball steering and the lack of steering wheel feedback for road racing prior to getting onto the track. After my track time (119 Miles), I do not understand the bad feedback some car magazines have given the XF on the steering, the feedback from the car was way better than I expected.
Let me address the traction control, I really thought as soon as I hit the track I would disable the traction control but found it to be a fantastic addition. Again the SRT team nailed it, a few times when the rear was about to spin out it kicked in and saved the corner.
The brakes "WOW" with hardcore 30 minute session I had zero brake fade, the anti lock brakes feel weird till you get used to them, but stop very well.

Overall; One Hell of a performance machine. Nice job Chrysler!!!

Pete

Adrenalin is 100+ M.P.H. 100 feet before a 90 degree turn!

<http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2116389>

<http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/images