View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Couv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Changing the engine mount

Replaced engine support on the drivers side today. I will offer some tips that will allow you to do the job within one hr and not loose your religion in the process.

This would be the perfect time to replace the steering stabilizer.

You will need an extra set of hands; I used my ten year old.

Tools
13 mm socket
17 mm socket
3/8” Extension at least 20” long
2) 3/8” swivels
3/8” ratchet
#20 star bit? Forgot size all ready
1/2” Ratchet
17mm wrench
Floor Jack
20” long 1x4 to go on top of floor jack to lift motor
2) ramps to raise front of car
cheater bar/pipe for 3/8” ratchet

-Raise and secure car. Apply emergency brake
-Turn steering far left
- remove engine pan / shield if it’s still present
-remove bolt on steering stabilizer at middle of car ; drivers side (17mm socket and 17mm wrench)
- remove bolt at center of cross member Star bit. It’s probably going to be tight.
- turn steering far right
- open hood and remove breather assembly over engine and air intake on the drivers side.
- insert 3/8” extension down beside exhaust manifold in first opening towards front of engine; right next to coil. 1/2” extension WILL NOT fit the narrow space
- under car; apply both swivels to 17mm socket and then attach swivel to bottom of 3/8” extension. This was the hardest part for me since it takes a lot of coordination with top person.
- hold socket over bolt while the top person removes the bolt. The bolt is about 2.5” long.
- now apply 1x4 under engine and raise engine about 2”. I placed the 1x4 right in front of the engine support. Make certain that your not lifting with the oil pan or the transmission cooling line.
Remove the lower engine support bolt. 13mm socket
- remove the tin cover over the engine support. The top bolt engine support bolt was the only thing holding it on.
- slowly remove the old engine support. It will come, but does take some prayer
- Remove rubber boot from new engine support.
- slowly work the new engine support into position. Then apply rubber boot ensuring that the notch on the boot matches the engine support. This is a pain since the boot will tend to move while your getting the top support bolt in.
- insert the tin on top of the new support
- put the support bolt thru the tin and hold up and wiggle the support until you can get the bolt started. It should be easy to turn. Keep wiggling and turning until your certain the notch and tab are aligned.
- using the 3/8” extension and swivels, tighten the top support bolt. I did not torque, but did use a 1’ cheater pipe over the ratchet
- lower engine and then insert/ tighten lower engine support bolt. 13 mm socket
- reinstall steering stabilizer and cross member brace.

Maybe someone can help refine this process so that it becomes a simpler task.

The following users liked this post:
BlkCell (07-08-2022)