View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 PM
ben47
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Change / Filter Help Please!!!

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Ok, so you may be right about the OEM paper filters and the new fleece filter being of higher quality. I don't know, but why couldn't you just use a high end Mobil-1/K&N filter with fully synthetic 5-30 (which doesn't break down) and change every 5,000 miles like I do on my dailydriver... Believe me you would be fine if you did that.
First of all, I have seen the STP, FRAM and the Mobil 1 filters for the Crossfire. They ARE NOT of the same quality as the OEM paper filters. The aftermarket filters were all made of very flimsy material. MB saw fit to switch to the fleece filter and it is very obvious they are better quality filter than their old paper ones.

Second, MB recommends Mobil 1 0W-40 oil for the Crossfire, not 5W-30. I would think the engineers that designed the 3.2L V6 would Know best what to put in their engines. I would dare say, most members here would agree with sticking with the 0W-40 oil.

Third, if you wanna go cheap, then by all means follow your instincts. The pros and cons of what filters to use and how often to change oil has been talked about many, many times in the past...

...and as PaulW said above, I am referring to how the paper holds up against the fleece filters for extended use. The Crossfire has a Flexible Service System (FSS) that tells you when service is due. The countdown starts at 7,000 miles. you may get more miles or less, it all depends on how and under what conditions the car is driven. DC can not void any warranty if an owner follows the FSS.

Last edited by ben47; 08-18-2006 at 07:26 PM.