Old 03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
BlakeSwain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

I apologize.... haven't been working on this much for the last two weeks (been helping out with some of the Midwest flooding and much needed Spring cleaning) and didn't want anyone to think I had "flaked" on the project. I was fighting getting the bottom ashtray angles 100% against the shifter bezel... This is now completed. I thinned and shelled the hvac/double-din bezel and have printed 1/2 (original right 1/2 was too thick "as shown"). Once I print the 2nd (thinned/shelled) right side I will be able to take the rear layers and verify they connect with all the oem mounting points, and verify the front top layer bezels are accurate. If all goes accordingly, I will be verifying the depth of the rear layer to the top layer and once I have this depth.... will be able to make adjustments and will be printing the actual part in abs plastic. I spread out all the printed parts that I have done.

3/25/19 Crossfire-PLAplastic-TestPrinted-CenterConsoleParts

I have been trying to decide how I will be finishing the new trim pieces? I may change my print head nozzel size (obtain higher print resolution, slower print speed) and see the results. My current test prints have been printed with a resolution of 0.3mm and I was tempted to keep this for the final print but use wood abs filament (final would be stained and look amazingly like wood) since the surface so closely resembles wood grain but this isn't really want I want. If I do increase the resolution, there may not be too much of a need for filling/painting. I also have the option of smoothing the printed parts with a acetone vapor and if this process compares may create a complete final finish if comes out as smooth and glossy as I have seen done before (will still require a anti-uv clear-coat). Still considering wrapping with leather, and adding a center double stitch with contrasting thread color down the center spine of the interior.
Too many option to choose, only by trail and error will I finally pick one lol.
Enjoy!