Old 03-26-2019, 10:07 AM
BlakeSwain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

I believe you are referring to SLA printing? (The media is liquid with an intense laser directed usually over-top of the liquid, with each laser layer a shape begins to emerge from the liquid pool). Sla prints require either a UV light or dry time to fully cure. When I was shopping for 3D printers I did consider a sla printer.... but between reviews, price, mess, and reduced print size.... concluded the extruded type 3d printers would work best for me. The higher price compared to smaller printable size was/is rather drastic. Plus with the traditionally extruded media type printers, have a huge variety of printable media options (pla plastic, abs plastic, petg plastic) than any sla printer. (Additionally, when I was reviewing the sla printers their printed parts can be rather brittle until fully cured. They are greatest for detail, given I saw many jewelers using/reviewing these printers). For the size of my project, I don't believe sla printing to be the best options given their decreased printable size, limited media options, and higher upfront/printing costs. (Although the detail of sla prints shouldn't require any fill/prime or modification at all)

I actually planned on adding a rather large cnc router to my workshop in the next few years, and have pondered on the idea of a complete cherry or walnut wood top layer bezel. Using my models, I should be able to modify a few program options and will be able to carve into wood, rather than print plastic.