View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Infinity
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CD-Changer for the NAV receivers

Not much in research that has not been known for some time, and he is looking in the wrong direction if he wants a solution. Fact is the 2660, 7860, and other Becker CD changers work off a modified Sony Unilink Protocol. The so called adaptors that people spend money on are for the traditional Becker units that have the standard Becker operating software which have an "AUX" input., not the custom version created for Chrysler The Chrysler nav unit has a CD changer input which is different, it requires a data stream to talk to the radio to let it know information such as disc number, titles, play status ect. The normal AUX input does not.

If it was a simple voltage signal (something he might have gotten from one of the input companies (looking at some of the older becker units) then a resistor would be all that is needed, but after testing and confirmation from others on the design side that is not the case (I wish it were that easy). On older units the chipset that held the bios was removable and companies such as Blitzsafe had custom software that they sold, this is no longer the case.

If he can find a way to record when data stream and work with the code so that it repeats itself then he has got a solution. Right now the only people I have seen building such items is overseas. Check here: http://www.mictronics.de/?page=becke...tml?1111413349

Locally we have had several bad wrecks due to people trying to use their ipod. It is not that it can not be done, in fact it is easier to do than most radio interfaces, but the nature of the activity forces one to look at the small screen often located lower on the center stack or in their hand. Therefore our natural motion is to look there instead of on the road. last week I witnessed two people loose control over their car while doing just that, and they tested the limits of their chevy cobalt by flipping it 3 times before landing upside down on the grass.