Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

CD-Changer for the NAV receivers

Old 06-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool CD-Changer for the NAV receivers

I have finally tracked down what will work with the stock NAV enabled receivers for the 2005 Crossfire SRT6.

Becker of North America states that the Becker Silverstone 2660 6-CD changer will function though the existing controls on the Crossfire's NAV enabled receiver.

I have ordered one from a local dealer (Not cheap $535 US dollars) as Chrysler didn't even have a changer listed for the car.

I will update this upon installing the unit with pictures and results.

In the mean time I will be performing the Bass blocker upgrade to the audio system to keep me occupied.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CD-Changer for the NAV receivers

Please keep us posted. With having to keep the Nav disk in the player, the idea of the changer sounds pretty good.

Of course that assumes that the Nav portion knows to look at the CD in the deck while playing one in the changer.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:49 AM

I was informed it will NOT read the NAV discs from the changer... however, putting your music in the changer will free up that front slot to hold the NAV disc most of the time.

I was also informed that the stock unit is NOT compatible with any other changer. So, MP3/WMV support is out without replacing the receiver.

Funny that Chrysler doesn't even offer this part as they could probably mark it up to over $1,000.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Where did you decide you would the cd changer at? I would have no idea where it could go and not take up valuable space?

Old 06-18-2006, 12:49 PM

No, I haven't decided where to put it yet and still have it accessible for changing the cartridge.

I am also looking at possibly splicing in an iPod connection, but I'll have to research that some more.

Plus, I'll wait to make sure this changer will indeed work with the controls on the receiver.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM

Okay, the word is official! Becker of North America stated that this Receiver+NAV is the same as their Traffic Pro model they show on the german site. (Can't direct link to the model, so I'll post a picture of each) They also stated that the Becker Silverstone 2660 6-disc changer will in fact work.

Here is the factory receiver front...

Here is the Traffic Pro 7945 Front...

I personally think it's closer to the Indianapolis Pro 7953...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7953_India_Pro_Gruen_Zoom.jpg (51.1 KB, 861 views)
BT_reddot_Zoom_1.jpg (95.5 KB, 864 views)
XF-Receiver-NAV-Back.jpg (197.0 KB, 913 views)
7953_India_Pro_Back_Install.jpg (260.5 KB, 1025 views)
XF-Receiver-NAV-Front.jpg (106.9 KB, 1169 views)

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 06-20-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:32 PM

Darn Picture limits...

...in any case, if you look at this picture of the back of the unit, it shows the same layout as the Indianapolis Pro. The Traffic Pro looks much different as it has a fan instead of a heat sink.

Compare with the Operation and Installation Guide drawing of the Indianapolis Pro...

The down side to all of this (maybe an up side) is that the only one that Becker North America had on hand was a reconditioned unit from a Porsche. It will be cheaper and have a factory warranty, but will not be new. (I can live with that!)

Here's part of the sticker on the right side of the OEM receiver+NAV unit...

The cable will also be a Porsche OEM part I believe.

Hope that helps everyone... I'll be back with an installation step-by-step when I get the changer and the cable.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 06-20-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already have the changer in the car, its an easy plug and play install. Due to the system in the back the changer is currently placed in the web pocket behind the passenger side seat.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Infinity,

Are you able to keep the NAV CD in the head unit (and using it) while you listen to a CD from the changer?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, the fact that this radio is CD changer capable opens up new opportunities. If the radio is CD changer capable, there is almost definitely an AUX input adapter, and probably an iPod adapter, which would be better then a CD changer for its size. I don't know what the input would be, but I would suggest finding out what other cars come with our radio, or one with the same software, and use that vehicle as a reference for finding the adapter as no one has anything for the "Crossfire".

Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 PM

I did notice that the german Becker site had an iPod adapter and I am having the authorized dealer I'm working with checking on it with Becker of North America as a first priority, second the 10-disc Becker changer and lastly the 6-disc changer.

I'll keep everyone up to date when I know something more... probably monday.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:46 PM

The Becker Site shows an Ipod adapter for the Traffic Pro, and the Indy Pro. Will it work with our nav radios?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Forum Regular

And what telephone unit will work with the radio? Is it bluetooth?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 AM

Okay, so I FINALLY got the Becker iPod cable adaptor for Becker stereo systems.
(Just under $140 US shipped from Europe).

It does NOT function with the Crossfire OEM Becker stereo with NAV.

The Becker 2660, 6 Disc, CD-Changer DOES function with the Crossfire OEM Becker Stereo with NAV.
(Changer is a reconditioned unit out of a Porsche, so I got it for under $300).

So, I had a cable that didn't work and a changer that did... what to do... what to do...

Well, I decided I wanted my iPod input more than the CD-Changer, so...

1. I separated the green and blue plugs from both the iPod Remote Kit cable and the CD-Changer cable. I kept the blue plug from the iPod Remote Kit and the green cable from the CD-Changer. I then assembled these two plugs as they just clip together.

2. I tapped the +12VDC power from the green CD-Changer cable jack into the iPod Remote Kit cable green jack to power the iPod Remote Kit cable. This allows the iPod to charge properly. I used a meter to verify polarity even though the CD-Changer cable was color coded properly (red for positive [+] and black for negative/ground [-]).

3. After hooking this combo cable into the OEM Stereo head unit, the CD-Changer came to life as always, except it had no audio.

4. I plugged in my iPod and the audio was piped in with the changer selected on the head unit.

Pros & Cons

Pros -

1. I have my iPod audio.

Cons -

1. I have no CD-Changer use other than a dummy box to trick the head unit into using it's only AUX input (CD-Changer in).

2. I must control my iPod from the iPod itself. Not a huge downer as the remote kit allows enough cable to position the iPod on the center console at my fingertips.

Things to resolve...

No CD-Changer audio... at one time I had seen a small auxiliary input box that allowed two inputs. One primary and one secondary. As long as the secondary was active, the primary was cut off. When the secondary was turned off or had no signal the primary was put back on. I have yet to locate this box again... but my search continues. EDIT! I found it here! ... and it's only $30... whoo-hoo! (I'll probably have to cut off the RCA heads and hard wire it into the two cables as a single harness).

Overall, this was cheaper than a new NAV head unit install with iPod control.

Things to note: If you do this yourself make sure you have ALL DAY to do it. You WILL have to remove lots of panels to get the CD-Changer cable to the back of the vehicle as I did. (I installed the CD-Changer in the 'first aid kit' recess under the cargo cover in the hatch area. In order to run this cable to the front, you have to remove the lower right side soft panel, right kick panel, right door sill plate, right side seat and then pull up the carpet enough to run your wire along the factory wiring path which runs down the center of the right floor pan area.) I was VERY impressed with the design/engineering and craftsmanship put into this vehicle.

I will be posting pictures and specific pins in a few days... I'm still recovering from the install.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 08-21-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Forum Regular

I would be interested in a unit for around $300. if the cd changer work as it is suppose to. Is this possible or not? I currently have no interest in IPOD.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

Or...

Buy an HK Drive+Play and route the CD changer audio out to the input of the DP and then the output of the DP to the radio. As Long as there is a cd in the changer playing you will have sound.

The only other possible option that might work is the Sony adaptor that allows you to run multiple CD changers. It may provide the necessary data information to keep the cd changer port open if it simulates the same protocol.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Exclamation Re: CD-Changer for the NAV receivers

upstate,

The Becker 6-Disc CD-Changer (model number 2660) works perfectly by itself, no fuss, no muss. Just plug it in and it works. You don't even have to run additional power to it... it's in the cabling with it and is switched on through the stereo unit. I would check on e-Bay or with Becker North America for any more 2660s that are reconditioned (they come with a factory warranty after all).

Infinity,

The main reason I don't want a HK Drive & Play is the extra 'clutter' and controls on the center console/dashboard. Plus the way you describe how the HK Drive & Play works is EXACTLY what I have now... WITHOUT the HK Drive & Play. I just control the iPod from... well... the iPod. As long as I have a CD in the changer and it is playing there is no break in audio. (I personally just leave it repeating the same track over and over.)

I also do NOT want to shout out to thieves "Hey! iPod in here! BREAK MY WINDOW and look for it!"

Not that I'm really that worried about it... but you don't leave an iPod Video 60GB laying in plain view or show that it's even hooked up to the car.

Also, I wanted the ability to play CDs that I may pick up on the road without dragging out my laptop to rip them to MP3.

Lastly, no other changer control box will work with the OEM Becker stereo in 2004-2006 Crossfires that I know of or Becker of North America, nor any of the dozen high end shops I spoke with.

Becker is the ONLY unit that will work with Becker... and there is just not the demand for it yet, so companies like PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) do not have an interface for it yet. Otherwise we would be able to get an iPod to work VERY easily.

In the next few days I will pull the head unit to take pictures of the cable hack I did as well as draw up a diagram for the pinouts. I have ordered the MPSS-2 from PIE and should receive it soon, although it is mentioned that there has to be a +12VDC trigger for it to switch inputs, so I'll be doing more diagnostics on the Becker iPod Remote Kit cable and see if there is some signal that is 'on' when the iPod is connected.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 08-21-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

Good luck as you "control your ipod while driving" lets hope none of us fellow owners are around when you take your eyes off the road to look at it.

As for your quest, I hope you do find something, but a little hint, its data not voltage that triggers the input. And the control is software driven not hardware, which makes this unit special compared to "our" other Becker units.

And no it is not demand that is keeping the aux companies from moving foward, it is that there is no upside to doing it, not enough systems sold and no long term plans to continue or use that head unit in other vehicles.

If you are the "code writing and engineering type" search the forums in Germany for the becker CD changer and you will find some people over there that will provide you the code to build an interface.

Good luck in your investigation.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

Not much in research that has not been known for some time, and he is looking in the wrong direction if he wants a solution. Fact is the 2660, 7860, and other Becker CD changers work off a modified Sony Unilink Protocol. The so called adaptors that people spend money on are for the traditional Becker units that have the standard Becker operating software which have an "AUX" input., not the custom version created for Chrysler The Chrysler nav unit has a CD changer input which is different, it requires a data stream to talk to the radio to let it know information such as disc number, titles, play status ect. The normal AUX input does not.

If it was a simple voltage signal (something he might have gotten from one of the input companies (looking at some of the older becker units) then a resistor would be all that is needed, but after testing and confirmation from others on the design side that is not the case (I wish it were that easy). On older units the chipset that held the bios was removable and companies such as Blitzsafe had custom software that they sold, this is no longer the case.

If he can find a way to record when data stream and work with the code so that it repeats itself then he has got a solution. Right now the only people I have seen building such items is overseas. Check here: http://www.mictronics.de/?page=becke...tml?1111413349

Locally we have had several bad wrecks due to people trying to use their ipod. It is not that it can not be done, in fact it is easier to do than most radio interfaces, but the nature of the activity forces one to look at the small screen often located lower on the center stack or in their hand. Therefore our natural motion is to look there instead of on the road. last week I witnessed two people loose control over their car while doing just that, and they tested the limits of their chevy cobalt by flipping it 3 times before landing upside down on the grass.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Infinity,

Okay... lots to reply to...

First off... "Good luck as you "control your ipod while driving" lets hope none of us fellow owners are around when you take your eyes off the road to look at it." ... the HK Drive and play puts a display up on your dash, you have to take your eyes off the road to read it, it also adds a control not unlike the control pad on the iPod itself. I don't tune my radio while looking at the display, which would take my eyes off the road. I don't change anything on my iPod that requires me to take my eyes off the road, unless I'm parked or at a stop light. I have a playlist set up for driving, if I don't like the song, I skip to the next one (out of 644 songs, it will take a while to repeat). I can do this all by feel. Seems just like common sense to me.

"As for your quest, I hope you do find something, but a little hint, its data not voltage that triggers the input. And the control is software driven not hardware, which makes this unit special compared to "our" other Becker units." ... I am aware it's the data communication between the CD-Changer and the head unit that allows it to work... I think you are mis-understanding what I want the trigger for... the MPSS-2 uses a +12VDC trigger to turn on/off the SECONDARY source. The primary can be hardwired to be 'ON' at all time. Thus, when the secondary is triggered, it will override the primary. This will allow me to hear the CD-Changer audio when the iPod is shut off... I just need to see if there is a trigger of some sort available, even if it's in the 'box' on the iPod cable.

Your comment: "And no it is not demand that is keeping the aux companies from moving forward, it is that there is no upside to doing it, not enough systems sold and no long term plans to continue or use that head unit in other vehicles." seems to define the word 'demand' in the product industry. "not enough systems sold" is enough to make any company not produce a product to support it.

Oh, and for the record... I don't give a damn whether I see the name of the song on my stereo display... I want the music PERIOD. So, tricking the Chrysler OEM Becker unit to play audio from a different source while it thinks it's playing it from the CD-Changer is just fine with me.

If I really wanted the display and iPod control, etc... I would have ripped out the OEM stereo head unit and amp and put in my own system.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 08-22-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: CD-Changer for the NAV receivers