View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 AM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Leaking

Originally Posted by Penwa
Hello, I got my oil changed on my 2004 Crossfire Limited Coupe and received a list of issues that needed to be repaired/replaced. One of the items on the list is that the transmission is leaking. I'm skeptical because I keep my car in the garage, and there isn't any pink fluid on the floor, plus no check engine light, and it's shifting smooth. I've had the car for a year now. It had 45K original miles on it when I bought it, and it currently has 58K miles. Is it possible that the transmission fluid just needed topping off? I tried to check the fluid level and I couldn't get the cap off the dipstick...then I read about the break the seal to open, and you have to replace the cap, good Lord. Now I am wondering whether the difficulty in checking the transmission fluid yourself makes it an easy target for an unnecessary repair. Any advice?
There is a way to take off the cap without ruining it, I have forgotten how, it needs to lock in place as you do not want it to blow off.
There is a connector that has OEM O-rings in it, the part and O-rings costs about $10. Also one leak has the oil wicking up a cable and into the car by the passengers feet, that can get expensive to fix. Sometimes a leak gets blown back along the underside of the car and it can take a while to drip.
Sometimes the list of problems is actually a figment of the mechanics imagination, he gets a cut of the prices charged in most dealerships. Independents make their money on fixing your car, not for being good guys.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-30-2019 at 10:18 AM.