All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Transmission Leaking

Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Leaking

Hello, I got my oil changed on my 2004 Crossfire Limited Coupe and received a list of issues that needed to be repaired/replaced. One of the items on the list is that the transmission is leaking. I'm skeptical because I keep my car in the garage, and there isn't any pink fluid on the floor, plus no check engine light, and it's shifting smooth. I've had the car for a year now. It had 45K original miles on it when I bought it, and it currently has 58K miles. Is it possible that the transmission fluid just needed topping off? I tried to check the fluid level and I couldn't get the cap off the dipstick...then I read about the break the seal to open, and you have to replace the cap, good Lord. Now I am wondering whether the difficulty in checking the transmission fluid yourself makes it an easy target for an unnecessary repair. Any advice?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Leaking

Most transmissions on the road leak, but the questions is, how much, most just have some drips on the case and never would make it to the ground.

I would put a mat underneath the car, and wouldn't worry about it till you see some drips on the mat.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Penwa
Hello, I got my oil changed on my 2004 Crossfire Limited Coupe and received a list of issues that needed to be repaired/replaced. One of the items on the list is that the transmission is leaking. I'm skeptical because I keep my car in the garage, and there isn't any pink fluid on the floor, plus no check engine light, and it's shifting smooth. I've had the car for a year now. It had 45K original miles on it when I bought it, and it currently has 58K miles. Is it possible that the transmission fluid just needed topping off? I tried to check the fluid level and I couldn't get the cap off the dipstick...then I read about the break the seal to open, and you have to replace the cap, good Lord. Now I am wondering whether the difficulty in checking the transmission fluid yourself makes it an easy target for an unnecessary repair. Any advice?
There is a way to take off the cap without ruining it, I have forgotten how, it needs to lock in place as you do not want it to blow off.
There is a connector that has OEM O-rings in it, the part and O-rings costs about $10. Also one leak has the oil wicking up a cable and into the car by the passengers feet, that can get expensive to fix. Sometimes a leak gets blown back along the underside of the car and it can take a while to drip.
Sometimes the list of problems is actually a figment of the mechanics imagination, he gets a cut of the prices charged in most dealerships. Independents make their money on fixing your car, not for being good guys.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-30-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is a way to take off the cap without ruining it, I have forgotten how, it needs to lock in place as you do not want it to blow off.
There is a connector that has OEM O-rings in it, the part and O-rings costs about $10. Also one leak has the oil wicking up a cable and into the car by the passengers feet, that can get expensive to fix. Sometimes a leak gets blown back along the underside of the car and it can take a while to drip.
Sometimes the list of problems is actually a figment of the mechanics imagination, he gets a cut of the prices charged in most dealerships. Independents make their money on fixing your car, not for being good guys.
More than likely it's the seal where the wiring harness goes in to the transmission.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Re: Transmission Leaking

Originally Posted by Penwa
A minor tranny leak @ the aforementioned connector is common due to o-ring failure, our's did drip a little. I think that part may have been upgraded/improved from original. Checking fluid level is a bit tricky, you need the correct dipstick or one that will fit down to the bottom of the pan. Then you need to check it for the correct level which is temperature sensitive. None of this is terribly difficult nor expensive for competent D.I.Yourselfer. Like many cars, transmission dipsticks are not provided & not kept in the transmission.
You may want to find a reputable German car repair shop & tell them what you've learned. If they are experienced (at all) w/Mercedes, they should be familiar with this. A fluid change, due to age, might be wise.