Old 12-28-2019, 08:00 PM
onehundred80
Received 564 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Re: Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

Originally Posted by Towncrier
A few weeks ago, my 2006 coupe exhibited the starting issue caused by a defective relay control module. I followed the directions on this forum and inspected the relays and solder joints. The relays looked fine. I touched up a couple suspicious solder joints. Everything seemed fine. Until it wasn't. I was at Walt Disney World's Old Key West resort and my car refused to start. No fuel pump priming sound. After several tries, I heard the fuel pump and I was good to go. Or so I thought. I parked the car at Hollywood Studios and enjoyed my day there. I ordered a replacement RCM from Amazon which was scheduled to be delivered that same day by 10pm. When I tried to start the car again, it refused. I let Disney Security know that the car would be there overnight. Amazon let me know that my RCM was not going to be delivered, so I contacted Chrysler roadside assistance the following morning to have my car towed to Central Florida Chrysler after verifying that the dealership had the tools necessary to diagnose and repair Crossfires.

You will never guess what was wrong. The RCM. The dealership also noticed that my valve covers were leaking and somehow determined that my front wheel bearings needed to be replaced (possibly because the towing company failed to send the promised flatbed to tow my car and unceremoniously dragged it to the dealership via the rear wheels - but that is another story - avoid Towlando towing company at all costs). Not sure how they could have gone bad after under 80,000 miles and not exposure to road salt. My lifetime powertrain warranty does NOT cover the valve cover oil leak (which was fixed once before). Everything else is covered, but they have only located one front wheel bearing and hub. So my car sits at the dealership while they search Chrysler parts inventory for parts that would undoubtedly be in stock at a Mercedes dealership. Wheel bearings and RCM repair more than pay for my lifetime warranty, but the $700 valve cover leak repair and $200 for PCV hoses are a tough pill to swallow.

For the first time since buying my Crossfire in 2007, I have to consider whether or not to keep the car. I cannot afford to be stranded with my one year old granddaughter as a passenger.
Chrysler does not stock any Mercedes parts that are in a Crossfire, the parts will be obtained directly from Mercedes and the price heavily marked up. Bearings can be obtained anywhere they are not special in any way, you could buy them from any industrial bearing outlet.
You are being taken to the cleaners my friend. Dealers are not your friend.