Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

Old 12-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

A few weeks ago, my 2006 coupe exhibited the starting issue caused by a defective relay control module. I followed the directions on this forum and inspected the relays and solder joints. The relays looked fine. I touched up a couple suspicious solder joints. Everything seemed fine. Until it wasn't. I was at Walt Disney World's Old Key West resort and my car refused to start. No fuel pump priming sound. After several tries, I heard the fuel pump and I was good to go. Or so I thought. I parked the car at Hollywood Studios and enjoyed my day there. I ordered a replacement RCM from Amazon which was scheduled to be delivered that same day by 10pm. When I tried to start the car again, it refused. I let Disney Security know that the car would be there overnight. Amazon let me know that my RCM was not going to be delivered, so I contacted Chrysler roadside assistance the following morning to have my car towed to Central Florida Chrysler after verifying that the dealership had the tools necessary to diagnose and repair Crossfires.

You will never guess what was wrong. The RCM. The dealership also noticed that my valve covers were leaking and somehow determined that my front wheel bearings needed to be replaced (possibly because the towing company failed to send the promised flatbed to tow my car and unceremoniously dragged it to the dealership via the rear wheels - but that is another story - avoid Towlando towing company at all costs). Not sure how they could have gone bad after under 80,000 miles and not exposure to road salt. My lifetime powertrain warranty does NOT cover the valve cover oil leak (which was fixed once before). Everything else is covered, but they have only located one front wheel bearing and hub. So my car sits at the dealership while they search Chrysler parts inventory for parts that would undoubtedly be in stock at a Mercedes dealership. Wheel bearings and RCM repair more than pay for my lifetime warranty, but the $700 valve cover leak repair and $200 for PCV hoses are a tough pill to swallow.

For the first time since buying my Crossfire in 2007, I have to consider whether or not to keep the car. I cannot afford to be stranded with my one year old granddaughter as a passenger.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

You could have had the RCM fixed or new installed at any good indy shop that works on MBs. They can connect to the xFire computer and read codes. Parts like the bearing are probably available from MB or someone like WorldPac. Stealership would be my last resort. Find a local MB indy shop near you.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people here and resealed their valve covers. There is a pdf floating around with good instructions. I did mine three years ago and no leaks. Definitely worth the effort and cost to buy whatever tools you would need.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

valve covers are a 20-30$ JOB YOU CAN DO. Dont pay dealers for anything and I d be suspicious of the wheel bearings, you can buy them and do the job or get a real mechanic, I wont go to the fiat and france mopar company again. Woody

Old 12-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Towncrier
A few weeks ago, my 2006 coupe exhibited the starting issue caused by a defective relay control module. I followed the directions on this forum and inspected the relays and solder joints. The relays looked fine. I touched up a couple suspicious solder joints. Everything seemed fine. Until it wasn't. I was at Walt Disney World's Old Key West resort and my car refused to start. No fuel pump priming sound. After several tries, I heard the fuel pump and I was good to go. Or so I thought. I parked the car at Hollywood Studios and enjoyed my day there. I ordered a replacement RCM from Amazon which was scheduled to be delivered that same day by 10pm. When I tried to start the car again, it refused. I let Disney Security know that the car would be there overnight. Amazon let me know that my RCM was not going to be delivered, so I contacted Chrysler roadside assistance the following morning to have my car towed to Central Florida Chrysler after verifying that the dealership had the tools necessary to diagnose and repair Crossfires.

You will never guess what was wrong. The RCM. The dealership also noticed that my valve covers were leaking and somehow determined that my front wheel bearings needed to be replaced (possibly because the towing company failed to send the promised flatbed to tow my car and unceremoniously dragged it to the dealership via the rear wheels - but that is another story - avoid Towlando towing company at all costs). Not sure how they could have gone bad after under 80,000 miles and not exposure to road salt. My lifetime powertrain warranty does NOT cover the valve cover oil leak (which was fixed once before). Everything else is covered, but they have only located one front wheel bearing and hub. So my car sits at the dealership while they search Chrysler parts inventory for parts that would undoubtedly be in stock at a Mercedes dealership. Wheel bearings and RCM repair more than pay for my lifetime warranty, but the $700 valve cover leak repair and $200 for PCV hoses are a tough pill to swallow.

For the first time since buying my Crossfire in 2007, I have to consider whether or not to keep the car. I cannot afford to be stranded with my one year old granddaughter as a passenger.
Chrysler does not stock any Mercedes parts that are in a Crossfire, the parts will be obtained directly from Mercedes and the price heavily marked up. Bearings can be obtained anywhere they are not special in any way, you could buy them from any industrial bearing outlet.
You are being taken to the cleaners my friend. Dealers are not your friend.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Dealership searching for parts - Lifetime warranty woes

Originally Posted by waldig
valve covers are a 20-30$ JOB YOU CAN DO. Dont pay dealers for anything and I d be suspicious of the wheel bearings, you can buy them and do the job or get a real mechanic, I wont go to the fiat and france mopar company again. Woody
OMG...$700 & $200 are ridiculous pills to swallow...if you don't DIY, when you find a reputable independent shop, you might have them install a new Bosch crank. position sensor (another common, but not too expensive problem, DO NOT ask Dealer to do this simple job).

Last edited by lovecross; 12-28-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Tampa and Davenport. If I can help in any way with your crossfire just let me know.
Here are some links to independent Mercedes repair shops in Orlando.

EUROTECH GERMAN CAR SERVICE

https://www.sloansauto.com/Orlando-m...z-repairs.html

https://germanexcellence.com/

https://europaorlando.com/
I will be in Kissimmie this week for the Mecum auction. Just let me know if I can help. Also my oldest son works security for Disney.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm a few hours south, not sure how much of a help i can be but i can surely do any non covered repairs for you. i show detroit has 79 of the inner bearing, 8 of the outter and 11 hubs. hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The above are perfect examples of the folk on this site and their willingness to help. I am impressed.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:12 PM

Picked up the car yesterday. Wheel bearings, RCM, and tow to the dealership were covered and, for those services I paid the $100 deductible. I did let them reseal the valve covers for the outlandish price they charged. They offered to throw in an oil change next time I need one, but since I didn't get that in writing, I don't think that will happen. The other service that they suggested had already been taken care of by my friend in Ohio who is a retired Dodge mechanic.

If it weren't for the warranty, I wouldn't set foot in a Chrysler dealership.

For the record, the last time that I took my Crossfire to a Mercedes dealership (about 8 years ago), none of their mechanics wanted to work on my Chrysler.

Thanks for all the advice and offers for help. I will keep them in mind.

John Hayes
(Wintering in Davenport Florida)

Old 01-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to hear you got all fixed up and thanks for updating us!

Old 01-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Don't go to a Mercedes Dealership either, go to an independent shop the repairs German cars and Mercedes.