View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 12:30 AM
rbracy10406
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Changing the engine mount

Originally Posted by FrenchyAlex
Yes I did. I did not touch the AC compressor or anything driven by the serpentine belt.
Access was 100% from bottom.
I simply took the center link off the L&R control arms as well as idler arm and pitman arm.
I HIGHLY recommend ordering the specific tool to pop the four center link ball joints.

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-Universa...od+end&sr=8-3#

Once the center link was off, I couldn't remove it from under the car because the car was on ramp, which means the wheels were still on the car. Still, I could move the center link out of the way and from there, it was all good. Tight fit, but very manageable. If you are careful with the center link, you won't need a new front alignment.
​​​​​​I am not going to say that removing the center link is THE way to go, but it was the best way for me because I had replaced the center link a few month prior. This was something I was familiar with and felt confident doing. To each his own.
Here are a few pictures from when I did it.
Let me know if you have any questions.
​​​​​

Driver side. Old mount still in, new mount next to it for comparison. Center link stays in the car but is off the pitman arm. "Plenty" of room.

I took this torx bolt off so I could pull on that bar and make more room for the driver side mount. Breaker bar needed, tight one!

Center link off lower control arm.

Tightening upper bolt on new mount. Driver side. Ratchet fits in there. Barely, but it does. Once it's in, piece of cake.

Passenger side. Idler arm and center link disconnected. Remember to disconnect the battery. Alternator is right there. I almost had a heart attack when my ratchet wrench touched a live wire and fireworks started inches form my face.

A stubby 16mm box wrench is very welcomed for the passenger side.

These are the only "special" tools needed. Center link ball joint extractor in the middle. The bottom one is a generic ball joint tool. You will not need it if you take your wheels off. In my case, the wheels were still on, so the extractor that is in the middle was rubbing against the rims and I had to use the other extractor to pop the center link ball joints from the lower control arms. I would recommend doing this with the wheels off if you go down the center link road.

Old mounts. I guess it was not a waste of time.
Awesome info! I'll be sure to pick up the tool. Thanks!