View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 PM
LugiaDark1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear subs wiring gone?

Originally Posted by gregkbaker
I know this discussion is more than a year old, but it's closest to my particular challenge. I recently bought a 2005 xfire limited (love it) but the stereo didn't work, no sound. I went to check the amp and it was all wet down there. Apparently this is common with these cars, the drains from the windshield get backed up and it goes into the floor right were the amp is. I figured the amp was toast so I bypassed it, plus I added a new Kenwood 6 channel head unit (KMM-X704). As per the pictures in this discussion, I wired the door speaker yellow wires (two of them) to the speaker wire from the harness and did the same with the blue door speaker wires (two of them) to the other harness speaker wire. I got sound (yay), but the door speakers don't sound great, too much midrange (I like it more clear, of course everyone likes more bass but I know I won't get a lot without and amp and sub). I'm thinking to get some fosgate components (Rockford Fosgate P1675-S) for the doors. I'd like to get the subs working, but I don't know how to do this. My head unit has 6 coaxial jacks, 4 for the speakers and 2 for the subs so I tried to splice coax sub plugs to one set (of the two sets) of the yellow wires but my head unit wouldn't work saying it is mis-wired. So, my first question for some xfire audio SME is how do I bypass my amp and get my subs working, even if they don't work great??? I don't intend to buy an amp, just not in the cards right now... I like good sound, but right now I'm just aiming for a low end solution. Alternatively, I thought about throwing some speaker boxes in the back, like 6 3/4 2-way or 3-way fosgates. Or, I thought about taking my stock door speakers (infinity I think, right?) and putting those in boxes and throwing them in the back and then going with the Fosgate P1675-s component set up in the doors. I'm looking for the best sound that I can get with no amp. My head unit was $130 and these component speakers would be $150. If I could get the door speakers to sound good by playing with the head unit settings, I'd keep them there and just buy some coaxial speakers for the boxes in the back. My objective (if I can't get the subs to work) is to try to get some base out of the back box speakers and then get some good crisp clear sound out of the door speakers, all without an amp. The worst case (if the component speakers without an amp is not a good idea) is to just buy four 2-way 6 3/4 fosgates and put 1 in each door and then 2 in boxes in the back. I already ran the speaker wire to the back and I have some old cheapy home entertainment speakers back there to verify that it all works (it does). So, if someone can PLEASE help, I'd sure appreciate it. Can I get the subs plus 4 speakers working (does it even make sense without an amp)? If not, what's my best bet for a semi decent sound? I'm an old man (59) who loves music but this car is more of a weekender and not a daily driver so I don't want to invest a ton of money into an audio system. Help (please)? Thanks in advance!

Hi Greg!
The main problem with the rear subs is the size factor; I mean I couldn’t get any other subwoofer to fit in the hole. Maybe we can get another subwoofer and adapt it to the hole but without the OEM case. I saw a Kicker Subwoofer 6.5” Dual Coil Low Profile. It could get in there and it cost like $120 each but u need to make a custom case for it.
You will need a new amplifier to power those subwoofer and connect the Kenwood head to the amplifier and then the 4 speakers and the 2 subwoofers to the new amplifier.

I ended up without subs by the way, the 4 speakers in the doors sounds pretty good so I left the subs like they where originally.

Edit:
Regarding your main problem haha, i think u can’t get a subwoofer working without an amp, but your 4 door speakers should work connected directly to your head unit. You can try a subwoofer and connect it directly to your head unit, if it work, u can put in a box In the trunk, I think this is the easiest solution if u still needing an amp, you can get a mini amp just to power up the subwoofer and stick it to the box.

Btw I’ve seen Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with this configuration and it looks good and sounds better hahaha.

Last edited by LugiaDark1; 10-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.