Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Rear subs wiring gone?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear subs wiring gone?

Hello everyone!

I'm new in the forum, and I'm from Mexico. I searched for a thread that would resolve my problem without luck
I just bought a Crossfire '04 last week and it came with a head unit JVC; it sounds really good!

So, my problem here is that the subs behind the seats doesn't emit any sound. I removed the plates just to be sure that the subs are there and they are already connected with the factory jack to the amplifier.
After that I removed the JVC to connect those subs to the rear output of the stereo but there aren't any rear cables, the factory Jack that is supposed to have the cables that goes to the amplifier rear inputs don't have them.

I would like to know how to connect the rear outputs from my jvc to the amplifier :c

Thanks to any help!

Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Default Re: Rear subs wiring gone?

hello Dark1

Are you saying the factory wiring harness (behind the radio location) does not have the subwoofer wires that go to the factory amp?

From the radio harness, the factory left and right channel only are actually paralleled before prior to the factory amplifier to get the front and rear/sub as signal input to the amp.

So, if your JVC headunit internal amplifier is driving the factory Crossfire front speakers, you would connect the rear speaker output (VI, VI/BK and GN, GN/BK) from your JVC...

...to the YL(right +), YL/VT(right -), BL(left +), BL/BR(left -) of the Crossfire wire harness.

And, of course the BL/WH remote wire from the JVC connected to the BL/DG of the Crossfire wire harness to turn on the factory amp.

This should get you started, assuming all other factory wires are untouched.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Hello!

Originally Posted by MAGNATUDE
Are you saying the factory wiring harness (behind the radio location) does not have the subwoofer wires that go to the factory amp?
Exactly, it doesn't have the subwoofer wires that are supossed to be in the radio harness as some XFire head unit diagrams indicate.
So, I need to wire from my JVC to the Amplifier, isn't it?

...to the YL(right +), YL/VT(right -), BL(left +), BL/BR(left -) of the Crossfire wire harness.
Ok, but I can't figure out which cable is YL,YL/VT.. etc.
I took a photo to the amplifier, wondering if hopefully you could tell me which cable is what.
8d5e2ba2-ffc8-4756-aad2-d44c632c91c6.jpg

Old 04-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Thumbs up Re: Rear subs wiring gone?

That's a good camera angle on your amp photo.

Looking at the two amp wire harnesses from left to right, the left harness has the YL (Yellow), YL/VT (Yellow/Violet stripe) and BL (Blue), BL/BR (Blue/Brown stripe). That is your Left and Right channel wire from the factory radio harness.

Notice also that there are two sets for the Left and Right channels. This is the paralleled wire I was talking about.

Now, on that same harness, you see what appears to be a Green wire. That wire is BL/DG (Blue/Dark Green stripe) remote turn-on for the amp. It's actually a Blue wire with the wide Green stripe facing up. The two Brown wires between the Yellow wire and the Blue/Green stripe wire, are the amps ground wire. No need to be concerned with those.

Those are the wires you will need to connect to the JVC headunit.
You will not have to connect any wire to the second harness on the right.

Last edited by MAGNATUDE; 04-17-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM

I also have the same year Crossfire as yours but I have never seen a separate factory subwoofer wire you mention. It may exist on other models but someone here may confirm or deny that.

Of the two paralleled sets of Left and Right channels leading to the amp, I'm really not sure which set is used for the front speakers and which set is used for the rears, or subs as some may call it. I could test it on my XF if an opportunity arises for rewiring my amp.

But, yes. One of those sets are for the rear/sub channel as I believe the amp is four channels, Internally filtered. Two channels for low pass frequencies and two channels for high pass frequencies.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM

I also have the same year Crossfire as yours but I have never seen a separate factory subwoofer wire you mention. It may exist on other models but someone here may confirm or deny that.
Oh no, the subwoofer, actually are the two rear speakers behind seats haha
Then, maybe my sub doesn't work? It is supposed to sound, isn't?

Today I'm gonna try to wire them. So, I would tell which are front and which rear.

Wish me luck hahaha

Old 10-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this discussion is more than a year old, but it's closest to my particular challenge. I recently bought a 2005 xfire limited (love it) but the stereo didn't work, no sound. I went to check the amp and it was all wet down there. Apparently this is common with these cars, the drains from the windshield get backed up and it goes into the floor right were the amp is. I figured the amp was toast so I bypassed it, plus I added a new Kenwood 6 channel head unit (KMM-X704). As per the pictures in this discussion, I wired the door speaker yellow wires (two of them) to the speaker wire from the harness and did the same with the blue door speaker wires (two of them) to the other harness speaker wire. I got sound (yay), but the door speakers don't sound great, too much midrange (I like it more clear, of course everyone likes more bass but I know I won't get a lot without and amp and sub). I'm thinking to get some fosgate components (Rockford Fosgate P1675-S) for the doors. I'd like to get the subs working, but I don't know how to do this. My head unit has 6 coaxial jacks, 4 for the speakers and 2 for the subs so I tried to splice coax sub plugs to one set (of the two sets) of the yellow wires but my head unit wouldn't work saying it is mis-wired. So, my first question for some xfire audio SME is how do I bypass my amp and get my subs working, even if they don't work great??? I don't intend to buy an amp, just not in the cards right now... I like good sound, but right now I'm just aiming for a low end solution. Alternatively, I thought about throwing some speaker boxes in the back, like 6 3/4 2-way or 3-way fosgates. Or, I thought about taking my stock door speakers (infinity I think, right?) and putting those in boxes and throwing them in the back and then going with the Fosgate P1675-s component set up in the doors. I'm looking for the best sound that I can get with no amp. My head unit was $130 and these component speakers would be $150. If I could get the door speakers to sound good by playing with the head unit settings, I'd keep them there and just buy some coaxial speakers for the boxes in the back. My objective (if I can't get the subs to work) is to try to get some base out of the back box speakers and then get some good crisp clear sound out of the door speakers, all without an amp. The worst case (if the component speakers without an amp is not a good idea) is to just buy four 2-way 6 3/4 fosgates and put 1 in each door and then 2 in boxes in the back. I already ran the speaker wire to the back and I have some old cheapy home entertainment speakers back there to verify that it all works (it does). So, if someone can PLEASE help, I'd sure appreciate it. Can I get the subs plus 4 speakers working (does it even make sense without an amp)? If not, what's my best bet for a semi decent sound? I'm an old man (59) who loves music but this car is more of a weekender and not a daily driver so I don't want to invest a ton of money into an audio system. Help (please)? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by gregkbaker
I know this discussion is more than a year old, but it's closest to my particular challenge. I recently bought a 2005 xfire limited (love it) but the stereo didn't work, no sound. I went to check the amp and it was all wet down there. Apparently this is common with these cars, the drains from the windshield get backed up and it goes into the floor right were the amp is. I figured the amp was toast so I bypassed it, plus I added a new Kenwood 6 channel head unit (KMM-X704). As per the pictures in this discussion, I wired the door speaker yellow wires (two of them) to the speaker wire from the harness and did the same with the blue door speaker wires (two of them) to the other harness speaker wire. I got sound (yay), but the door speakers don't sound great, too much midrange (I like it more clear, of course everyone likes more bass but I know I won't get a lot without and amp and sub). I'm thinking to get some fosgate components (Rockford Fosgate P1675-S) for the doors. I'd like to get the subs working, but I don't know how to do this. My head unit has 6 coaxial jacks, 4 for the speakers and 2 for the subs so I tried to splice coax sub plugs to one set (of the two sets) of the yellow wires but my head unit wouldn't work saying it is mis-wired. So, my first question for some xfire audio SME is how do I bypass my amp and get my subs working, even if they don't work great??? I don't intend to buy an amp, just not in the cards right now... I like good sound, but right now I'm just aiming for a low end solution. Alternatively, I thought about throwing some speaker boxes in the back, like 6 3/4 2-way or 3-way fosgates. Or, I thought about taking my stock door speakers (infinity I think, right?) and putting those in boxes and throwing them in the back and then going with the Fosgate P1675-s component set up in the doors. I'm looking for the best sound that I can get with no amp. My head unit was $130 and these component speakers would be $150. If I could get the door speakers to sound good by playing with the head unit settings, I'd keep them there and just buy some coaxial speakers for the boxes in the back. My objective (if I can't get the subs to work) is to try to get some base out of the back box speakers and then get some good crisp clear sound out of the door speakers, all without an amp. The worst case (if the component speakers without an amp is not a good idea) is to just buy four 2-way 6 3/4 fosgates and put 1 in each door and then 2 in boxes in the back. I already ran the speaker wire to the back and I have some old cheapy home entertainment speakers back there to verify that it all works (it does). So, if someone can PLEASE help, I'd sure appreciate it. Can I get the subs plus 4 speakers working (does it even make sense without an amp)? If not, what's my best bet for a semi decent sound? I'm an old man (59) who loves music but this car is more of a weekender and not a daily driver so I don't want to invest a ton of money into an audio system. Help (please)? Thanks in advance!

Hi Greg!
The main problem with the rear subs is the size factor; I mean I couldn’t get any other subwoofer to fit in the hole. Maybe we can get another subwoofer and adapt it to the hole but without the OEM case. I saw a Kicker Subwoofer 6.5” Dual Coil Low Profile. It could get in there and it cost like $120 each but u need to make a custom case for it.
You will need a new amplifier to power those subwoofer and connect the Kenwood head to the amplifier and then the 4 speakers and the 2 subwoofers to the new amplifier.

I ended up without subs by the way, the 4 speakers in the doors sounds pretty good so I left the subs like they where originally.

Edit:
Regarding your main problem haha, i think u can’t get a subwoofer working without an amp, but your 4 door speakers should work connected directly to your head unit. You can try a subwoofer and connect it directly to your head unit, if it work, u can put in a box In the trunk, I think this is the easiest solution if u still needing an amp, you can get a mini amp just to power up the subwoofer and stick it to the box.

Btw I’ve seen Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with this configuration and it looks good and sounds better hahaha.

Last edited by LugiaDark1; 10-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks LugiaDark1! I suspected that I'd need an amp to accomplish what I was after. I only have a single 6.5 speaker and tweeter in each door, I don't have the rear door speaker. This is the reason why I wanted to throw some boxed speakers in the back. I could build a permanent structure back there, but figured it would be easier to buy some cheap boxes and use velcro to essentially mount them to the floor in the back. I'd use subs if I didn't have to mess with running an amp, but rather than do so I'd just probably just go with another pair of coaxial speakers.

Here is one more question, I mentioned that I have a single speaker and component tweeter in the doors. If I were to mount those in boxes in the back, could I just go with the 6.5 speaker and not mess with the tweeter and crossover (eliminate them), or am I required to use them? I'm not savvy on how components work. What I'm after is a little more bass coming from the back and then clearer sound coming from the doors up front.