Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Problems w/Aftermarket Radio -- No Sound

Old 12-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems w/Aftermarket Radio -- No Sound

Hi All,

I purchased an Alpine CDA-9825 receiver with the KCA-420i (to control my ipod) for my '04 Coupe. I ordered it all through Crutchfield and got the following installation parts :
Euro Antenna Adapator
VW wiring harness
Universal DIN Tool

I wired it all up and it powers on OK. But I get no sound from the system. I called crutchfield and they said I had to run separate wiring to each speaker and that no sound would go through an aftermarket head through the infiniti amp.

Did anyone else have this problem? Or better yet, a solution?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Default Re: Problems w/Aftermarket Radio -- No Sound

Originally Posted by prb4t
Hi All,

I purchased an Alpine CDA-9825 receiver with the KCA-420i (to control my ipod) for my '04 Coupe. I ordered it all through Crutchfield and got the following installation parts :
Euro Antenna Adapator
VW wiring harness
Universal DIN Tool

I wired it all up and it powers on OK. But I get no sound from the system. I called crutchfield and they said I had to run separate wiring to each speaker and that no sound would go through an aftermarket head through the infiniti amp.

Did anyone else have this problem? Or better yet, a solution?

Thanks
Sounds like you missed the AMP turn on like I did. Once I connected it all was well. Make sure you switch the yellow and red wires on the VW connector.

As for the speakers, only the front ones are wired in the Crossfire (white and gray on the VW harness I think) and if you look at the Crossfire radio harness, the rear speaker wires are missing.

Post back if you still need help.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 AM

Thanks CyberGreg,

I already switched the yellow and red power lines so it does power on without the ignition on.

I did not wire the amp. In fact the crutchfield wiring says "not used". I think on the VW harness its Pink, and I have a Blue/White off the Head unit as the AMP turn on.My question is can I wire this thru the harness to power the Amp or is this a connection I need to make outside of the VW harness? In other words, is the AMP turn on wired through the chrysler factory harness? (I haven't mapped all the wires in the Chrysler harness)

Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by prb4t
Thanks CyberGreg,

I already switched the yellow and red power lines so it does power on without the ignition on.

I did not wire the amp. In fact the crutchfield wiring says "not used". I think on the VW harness its Pink, and I have a Blue/White off the Head unit as the AMP turn on.My question is can I wire this thru the harness to power the Amp or is this a connection I need to make outside of the VW harness? In other words, is the AMP turn on wired through the chrysler factory harness? (I haven't mapped all the wires in the Chrysler harness)

Thanks
Sorry.. yes the instructions did say not used and you can wire it through the VW connector that's what I did and it has been working fine.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:05 PM

Thanks so much! I got it working just like you said. I did look closer on the chrysler harness and if the fronts are the only ones wired are we only running 2 channels to the amps, a right and a left? If there is no seperate feed for the subs/rears that must be the case, right? strange.

Now I just have to figure out where to mount the Alpine Ipod adaptor and where to run the cable for the ipod.

Thanks Again!

Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youre right, prb4t... the amp receives the "front" speaker input and separates the signal for the tweeter, mid- woofer and sub- woofer. the subs arent considered "rear"

one other thing to be aware of is the two wires you crossed. do your presets get saved everytime you turn the car off and take the key out, etc? i think i had this problem originally when i wired up my new head unit.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Thumbs up Re: Problems w/Aftermarket Radio -- No Sound

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
.... one other thing to be aware of is the two wires you crossed. do your presets get saved everytime you turn the car off and take the key out, etc? i think i had this problem originally when i wired up my new head unit.
My Sony is saving the information and I crossed the yellow and red wires.

Did you have problems when you didn't cross the red/yellow or was it the other way round?

PS Glad you got it working prb4t, as far as mounting check out www.ipodlounge.com and go to the forum under gear look for the car iPod-In-Car solutions forum (or just click here )

Old 12-29-2004, 09:19 PM

Thanks CyberGreg. I had no issues with memory once I switched the wires over.

As for the mounting. I had a Transpod cradle that I was using in the Xfire. But with the Alpine unit I can now control the Ipod directly from the Alpine receiver. So I mounted the cable for the ipod in the storage box, I ran the cable underneath. Its a pretty slick setup. I highly suggest the Alpine heads if you use an Ipod so you can control them from one interface.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 AM

prb4t -- How does the Alpine headunit match with the rest of the silver on the dash?

Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 AM

Did you need any adaptor to get your Alpine headunid in place ?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Cool Re: Problems w/Aftermarket Radio -- No Sound

Originally Posted by FabianoGK
Did you need any adaptor to get your Alpine headunid in place ?
An "installation" adapter is not required for any DIN capable head unit. You do still need a few other items to install an aftermarket head unit:
Universal OEM DIN Tool Pair (Crutchfield P/N 120869001)
Scosche VW01B Wiring Harness (Best Buy)
Metra Antenna Works 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter Cable (Best Buy
--OR--
If you want to get it all from Crutchfield:
P/N 120869001 Universal OEM DIN Tool Pair
P/N 12040EU10 Euro antenna adapter
P/N 120701784 VW Wire harness (switch the red and yellow wires when connecting the VW harness to the new head unit harness)

Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 PM

Katie,

The silver is a little darker than the rest of the dash. But it mounts well and sits flush with the dash. All in all it looks real nice. Plus the green LED matches the rest of the dash lights well.

The ipod functionality is pretty good, the user interface is a bit poor, but if you have playlist programmed on your ipod its easy to scroll through and listen to distortion free MP3s.

Hope that helps.
prb4t